Is anyone mixing U/U and Vanilla Huel in a 50 / 50 ratio?

I’ve been on 100% for a few weeks now (well, most days - occasionally I’ll skip a Huel meal for a Friday night treat or a healthy lunch with friends). I quickly got accustomed to the flavour and sweetness of vanilla Huel, and I’m happy with a lot of the additional flavours I’m adding - cocoa, coffee, cinnamon, ginger, salted caramel, peanut butter etc. However, I’d like to reduce the sweetness and even the base vanilla flavour somewhat.

And so to my question… does anybody use U/U and vanilla Huel mixed in equal parts? If so, how do you find the flavour without anything else added, and what about with any of the flavourings I’ve mentioned above (or similar)? Does it mix well in this ratio, and is it still as thick as vanilla only? Does it still have an oaty flavour and texture (I very much like that part of the Huel vanilla flavour profile).

I’m quite keen to get both U/U and vanilla in my next order to try it, but I’d feel happier if I knew whether others were doing this with positive results.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

What is U/U?

Unsweetened, unflavoured. I think.

Sorry, yes - unsweetened / unflavoured. I’d seen it referred to as “U/U” elsewhere on this forum quite a bit, so figured it was a well known abbreviation. Oops! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I do, it is my preferred ratio…although I also use 50/50 unsweetened oat/almond or even hemp milk and water - 250ml of each with 50g vanilla and 50g u/u. it is much better sweetness wise. Love it just like that but sometimes add matcha, instant coffee granules, powdered peanut butter (and a bit more liquid), raw cacao, coconut and pineapple flavour sachet, sugar free butterscotch or sugar free maple syrup, white chocolate flavdrops,

Yes it is still oat and since gums added to U/U, as thick. I make mine in a shaker not blender an refrigerate overnight.

1 Like

Thanks, hunzas - that’s exactly what I was hoping to hear! :slight_smile:

I also mix mine in a shaker and refrigerate over night as often as possible, but use only water. I like the vanilla Huel, but I’d prefer less sweetness and less strength to the vanilla; and a half ‘n’ half mix is nice and convenient, as I prepare my meals as two-scoop portions.

Looks like this is what I’ll be trying next! Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, I started out on vanilla, but didn’t take me long to try mixing them…and it works perfectly for me. I measure mine with scales not scoops tho.

Good luck with it.

1 Like

I tried this with the first couple of bags of Vanilla I bought and for me it was still to sweet (down to about 20%). Ended up binning it. I think I may be hypersensitive to certain sweeteners. A newer version of Coca-Cola almost put me in hospital with heartburn a couple of months ago - never felt pain like it :slight_smile:

I tried the U/U in isolation and found its flavour quite a challenge, but I discovered an almost perfect flavour combination:

1 scoop U/U
2 scoops vanilla
half teaspoon of mocha flavour

I like the vanilla just fine, but this was the perfect sweetness/flavour balance IMO.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I think I’ll try 50/50 U/U + vanilla, just to see if I like it. If not, I can always step up to 2:1 split. It would be convenient if I like it 50/50, as it’s simply a scoop of each for one of my meals :slight_smile:

I use 1 scoop of vanilla and 2 scoops of U/U and love it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

See, that’s what I like to hear :stuck_out_tongue: Whilst it’s not what I’m looking to do right away, it makes me even more confident in trying the 50/50 mix.

Thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:

I’ve tried that and it’s fine. Works really well if the 100% vanilla is a little sweet for you. 75 u/u + 25% vanilla is also perfectly do-able.

1 Like

I went from 4 vanilla to 3:1 (Vanilla:U/U), then 2:2, then 1:3, and now 4 U/U :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really? You’re now full U/U? Can you drink it without flavouring, or are you adding things?

Yep, just pure 100% unflavoured and unsweetened. I found, interestingly, that after every stage of having decreased the number of vanilla scoops if I then went back to the previous ratio (so for example back to doing 3:1 after having moved to 2:2) I’d find it to be sickeningly sweet. Taste is strange.

3 Likes

I only take Huel mixing 50/50 U/U and vanilla
U/U is too chalky and Vanilla to sweet, mixing makes it perfect for me
It took me 1 shaker of each to make my decision :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great :slight_smile: Well, I’m half way through my last bag of vanilla, but have a mixed order of U/U and vanilla arriving today. After all the positive answers, I’m looking forward to trying the 50/50 mix. I’ll report back!

I mix 2:1 or 1:2, depending on what flavourings I’m including: I’m using pure cacao+cinnamon and will soon try pure matcha as I’m not super enthused about sweetened flavourings. Like @ibid, I’ve found that as I use less vanilla or sweetened flavourings, going back to more sweetener begins to taste unpleasant. In the early days I tried pure U/U and found it awful, but I think I’ll give it a try again soon.

1 Like

OK, so I received my U/U Huel yesterday. I mixed my 50/50 shakes last night and tried one of them. Initially, I wasn’t too impressed, due to a very chemical-tasting bitterness (which I assume is the chlorine in our water). Now that the shakes have been in the fridge overnight (which is how I usually prepare them anyway), the taste is much better… kind of like Weetabix with just a tiny amount of added sugar. I can still taste that it’s water-based, so might try adding a small amount of unsweetened almond milk to my next lot. But the level of sweetness is spot-on now, so I’ll persevere with the 50/50 mix. Once I’m used to it, I think it’ll work better for me than just straight Vanilla.

2 Likes