Launching Huel Black Edition

Just changed my subscription. Can’t wait to try this.

1 Like

Would like to try it, but not blowing €70 on it.

Great job! Looks super impressive and appealing. Will add a couple of bags to my next subscription. I am really impressed by the branding and it also looks like a premium version of the product.

Might be a silly question but do flavor boosts work with the black edition vanilla flavor as they do with the regular Huel vanilla?

2 Likes

How much leucine is in there per 100gram?
Wondering if it would fit the protein profile.

Sorry but I really don’t understand this product
Regular huel is cheaper and contains far enough protein even for bodybuilders
This only use I see is when you want to loose fat and maintain your muscle mass as high as possible

Question: what is the amount of maltodextrin per 100g? Why use it instead of the high quality carb you use in the regular powder (oats)?

Who and for what is this product made for?

6 Likes

Am I right in thinking that, as a bloke just getting on with life and not doing any intensive bodybuilding, I have zero reason to buy this?

5 Likes

Living in a gernan speaking country, when clicking on this link, I am immediately directed to a 404 on the german site. Could you please provide a link that doesn’t have this automatic redirection?

Love this.

I can see me having Huel v3 during the daytime and Huel Black post gym and for any evening meals.

I never thought kelp would make me question something, and although I am reassured it’s vegan approved I am glad to see a version without it. I think it’s the wording that has to go with it. I’ve avoided anything with the word fish on it for over 30 years (whether it has microscopic traces or not I know, its a very low risk).

As this is supposedly the most requested version of huel I can only imagine people who want to do keto are the kind of people wanting this.

This comes across as a vegan option unlike the typical version which is usually high amounts of meat and dairy.

This product might replace my post-workout eggs + cottage cheese dinner if my workout ends a bit too late. It’s nice that we have more options now. I had no issue whatsoever with kelp so I will happily also eat the normal v3 Huel.

Now what makes me laugh a bit is the addition of maltodextrin. Whenever there were comparisons done with other products, then Huel’s answer was always: ‘But they have maltodextrin, that’s cheap and makes the shake smoother’. The comparable product did actually not have maltodextrin and I have no problem with it at all but the change in heart is a tad surprising. :smiley:

1 Like

The maltodextrine in the ingredients list is positioned after the vanilla/chocolate flavour. So it must be a very small amount of it.

The maltodextrin may just be the carrier for the vitamins? I hope it is just a small amount.

I can see another Scoopgate on the horizon. Serving size in the bumf is 90g…

5 Likes

Maybe it’s less dense than bog-standard Huel, so a full scoop is only 45g.

Maybe there’s a special black scoop that can’t be detected by enemy radar, because it’s only 45g and black.

3 Likes

It’s actually really refreshing to see you be so frank about the business reasons behind this decision and as much as I am genuinely sorry for the people who are excluded by this, ultimately it makes the product accessible to a much, much larger number of people. I am not personally opposed to the kelp and if there’s a really good reason to include it then why not

11 Likes

Bag looks good.
It’s an interesting product even if I would have liked a keto version. Hopefully in the future.
Good on removing kelp. Please remove it in regular Huel.
I’d like to see banana as flavor

Might partially replace regular Huel with this

I’m not bothered by the use of kelp but I can see it’s important to some. It’s amazing to see this forum could make such huge and rapid changes to a product. So it looks like if enough people talk about it then huel take an interest and respond to it. Well if that’s the case.
WHERE IS THE SAVOURY HUEL?
The human taste buds can not live on sweetness alone

Edit: just to clarify I’m not asking for a brand new product. Maybe just a flavour booster that said chicken or bacon or a salted peanut one that tasted of peanuts. A one you could add to U/U

4 Likes

I’ve been banging the lime and chilli bar drum for a while now :crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind words. We will try our best. Have a lovely Christmas!

It’s not a silly question at all. I would avoid adding flavour boosts to Black Edition as it’s not the same as v3.0, the stevia on stevia doesn’t work so well.

400kcal is provided by 90g of powder. There’s approximately 3450mg of leucine per serving so that’s 3833mg per 100g. You can find the full amino acid profile here.

Huel Black Edition is aimed at the same market as the core Powders it simply offers flexibility and more choice. Some people prefer a lower carb option, a higher protein option to fit in with the rest of their diet (most people don’t have Huel products for 100% of their diet), a flavoured product without sucralose or a product without oats.

Huel Black Edition is low in carbs. The small amount of carbs are provided by tapioca starch. Maltodextrin is not a major carb source and if we used high amounts or oats, Black Edition would not have the nutrition we set out to achieve.

Totally depends on what works for you David. If you’re a fan of the core Powders there’s no need to switch.

Sorry for this, we’re still tweaking a few things on site. For now you can switch the flag to UK to read the page.

Other way around. Black Edition is higher in fat so more calorie dense which means less is needed to hit 400kcal.

We’ve worked out a keto hack if that’s your thing. 50g of Black Edition and 50g of desiccated coconut creates:

• Energy 555kcal
  • Total Carbs - 16g; 12%TE (Total Energy)
  • Available Carbs - 6g
  • Protein - 25g; 18%TE
  • Fat - 43g; 70%TE
8 Likes

Thanks that looks good :+1::santa:

1 Like