Launching Huel Black Edition

Hi Mandy - UU was not on our plans for Black Edition, but we’ll certainly look into it.

4 Likes

Hi @Nwolc - we have tried them and they do work; though the flavour is different due to the subtler sweetness of Black Edition

1 Like

The leucine amount can be found here.

2 Likes

Although you guys generally speak to a small group of people on here (Dan, James C, myself and Julian generally) everyone at HQ is reading the forum. It affects us all and although it’s important to look at the wider audience too we take what we read on here seriously. It’s worth noting that the opinions of our community on different platforms vary a lot - forum/facebook/Instagram or even via email - so we have to look at the bigger picture too.

Savoury Huel? Love the idea, honestly we’ve found it difficult to nail in Huel Powder, we haven’t given up though. 2020 is a whole new year so who knows what will happen!

5 Likes

+1 for UU Black, I prefer mixing my huel with cup-a-soups and I’ve been waiting for a higher protein version!

2 Likes

Hello, could you explain why you would have Huel Black at the evenings?

I understand having it after the workouts, but why is it for at the evenings? Thanks!

Presumably because carbs are purely a source of energy and if you don’t require that energy then it gets turned into fat and stored.

Yes sure, I sometimes find it too filling to have a few hours before I want to sleep. I end up going to bed feeling like I’ve had a heavy meal. I’d be interested to see if a lower carb version would allow me to sleep better after having Huel in the evening.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say the Black Edition powder arrived today (in a fancy black box), and I thought it was delicious, even nicer than V2.3.

Have been having Huel for 2 of my meals a day for just over a year, and my only ever gripe has been trying to make up the additonal protein elsewhere (due to lots of training, weightlifting, etc.). Have attempted adding protein powders to Huel before, but it isn’t a match made in heaven.

This new product is perfect for me, and I’m genuinely delighted it’s available. Thank you Huel team.

12 Likes

I was pleased with the kelp in it but I don’t have an issue with it, I believed it was healthy and if it does make Huel healthier great. Maybe they will do flavoured kelp free version in the future

I ordered yesterday evening and it arrived this morning, great service! Might make one up tonight and see how I like it.

Edit - I made up a shake, taste is pleasent and I didn’t even chill it. Less sweet than the new 3.0 chocolate Huel. I get a slight dark chocolate aftertaste although when I’m actually drinking it it tastes nothing like chocolate. I actually really like the taste and it mixed perfectly in the shaker with no lumps. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Was this with water or milk and how much powder to liquid? Thanks for the info.

Mine arrived today! Just had a portion of the Vanilla, and found it pleasant (albeit mild in taste compared to 2.3 Vanilla)

Mixed extremely well with the Promixx IX-R bottle (I avoid using the shaker these days… I’ve had a few “explosions” where I haven’t successfully sealed the top on the bottle)

No lumps of any kind, smooth, no unpleasant aftertaste… and I’m happier knowing it has no artificial sweeteners. Also - given my somewhat unusual, and medically-mandated protein intake requirements - the 50% lower carbs massively improves Huel in my favour. It’s extremely difficult having to consume 176g of protein every day without also consuming far too much carbohydrate… it’s going to be significantly easier for me to manage this now.

Thanks, Huel, for the extremely rapid delivery, the quality food product (as always) and improving my quality of life (honestly, Huel has almost certainly saved my life already)

3 Likes

Water, I made 45g with 255ml water. Its 90g with 510ml for a full serving, I did half as I was just testing it out

1 Like

I can see how if your going low carb or indeed Keto how this could be used. If you take the chocolate with 16 grams of carbs 2x of these would in theory keep you at 24 grams of carbs a day depending on your metabolism this is on the lower end of keto as some people can do up to 50 grams a day this does mean you could have two meals a day from Huel Black and just be really careful with your other meals.Even better if this is the total carbs and you can remove the non digestible fiber ( 7.7 gram) which would only give you 8.3 grams of carbs a meal. so three maybe more meals from huel and you would still be in carb range. It would still only amount to 1200 calories for three but you could as above add coconut. I guess you could always add in olive oil or avocado oil as well if that’s you preference. It would then give you plenty of fiber usually on the low side in Keto and lots of macro nutrients etc. Then again you could just have an edition where the tapioca was removed all together and people could make they’re own decisions on fat to add or even then add your own carbs with a banana etc If that’s your bag. I have to admit I was one of those who asked for keto as since trying it I have felt better and lost fat etc and as much as I liked Huel just couldn’t make it work. If this is low net carb I will be definitely becoming a Hueligan again !!!

If I am correct I believe something like 120 grams a day of protein is allowed on Keto although you then get into the weeds of some new evidence saying you can go a lot higher especially if doing a lot of exercise and protein does not make much difference. I am no expert and you see conflicting stories on the web about this from different sources unfortunately I guess you can only try to see what works for you .

Due to the high protein level.

I do get very tired of all the conflicting information re high protein intakes.

Some say there’s no such thing as too much (which I think we all know is simply not true… there’s always “too much of a good thing”)
Some say even a tiny bit more than you should have can be very bad (which I highly doubt)

I’ve been reading recently that unmetabolised (excess) protein breaks down into glucose, which makes a lot of sense given that - as I understand it - all excess calories (be they from sugars/carbs, fats or protein) end up being broken down to be stored as adipose tissue (subcutaneous lipids) as “reserve energy.”

I feel that, as with all things, it comes down to balance.
If you’re going to kick up your protein intake, you need to reduce something else (sugars/carbs or fats, or a little both).

Huel’s Black Edition clearly does this, by reducing the carb content in order to increase the protein content for approx the same overall calorie count (400cal/portion)

I’m unlucky enough to have my dietary needs significantly dictated by my medical condition, which not only takes a lot of items entirely off the menu (gluten, for example) but also mandate an unusually high protein requirement (172g per day, up to 211g if I’m doing more than 2 hours of intensive exercise, which I do very often)

The problem I’ve had with Huel up to now is that I’ve always had to consume an unbalanced mixture of Huel and supplemental Whey Protein. This is to try and offset the excess of carbs I would end up ingesting were I to rely on Huel alone to meet my protein requirements.
In general, I would mix 65g of Huel to 30g of Whey Protein, for each portion. This would approximate the amount of protein I require without going too far over on the carbs. However, that means I was sacrificing fibre, and other nutrients that would be balanced if I were having the 100g portion of Huel per meal.

Now that they’ve cut the carbs back in Black Edition, I can have two normal Huel portions per day, and only have to add 25-50g of Whey protein isolate to the third (depending on level of physical activity, and if I pre-calculate my activity for the day I can divide the supplemental Whey protein between two Huel portions instead of one)

I wouldn’t necessarily suggest that Black Edition = pure keto. I doubt that, based on much that I’ve read suggesting that a ketogenic diet cuts carbs back below 25g total daily. That’s not doable with three portions of Huel Black Edition.

With that said, I think people looking to cut down carbs, and increase the overall quality of their calorific intake, will benefit from Huel Black Edition. Also, anyone with medically-mandated requirements similar to mine will certainly benefit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why does the Black Edition version have maltodextrin and the normal version doesn’t?

Maltodextrin have a very high GI index (twice that of table sugar) so it is certainly does not provide slow release energy.

1 Like

It’s only a very small amount of maltodextrin, and as the protein content is very high, the overall GI for Huel Black will be very low (I suspect much lower than v3 although no number has been given yet).