Launching Huel Black Edition

I’d suggest if you’re looking for slow release energy then v3 is the more appropriate product due to the oats.
Huel Black is mostly protein and fats so more suitable post-workout, or as part of a diet that contains lots of slow release carbs

I’d prefer the higher protein and lower carbs of the Black Edition but don’t want carbs which have a high GI index which maltodextrin has

1 Like

How much maltodextrin is actually in the Black Edition as it does not state exactly how much on the ingredients list. Just because the protein content is high doesn’t necessarily mean that the overall GI index will be low.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find the answer to this either. It’s a question for @JamesCollier when he’s back from crimbo holidays. He may also be able to tell us when we will likely have an overall GI figure for Huel Black.

It’s high fibre, high fat, high protein… all of which lower the overall GI of the meal.
I don’t know for sure, but my educated guess is that the GI is going to be very low when the results are in. I personally am not worrying about the maltodextrin even though it’s an ingredient I tend to usually avoid, because looking are the overall profile of the product, it is very unlikely to cause a spike in blood sugars.

The GI results will be interesting to see.
I should imagine there won’t be a very long wait. They’ve just given us the results for v3 so Black won’t be far behind

1 Like

Aha, @Cordypants I’ve just found this answer from Dan:

Doesn’t completely answer your question but if I were you I’d wait for the GI results before worrying.
I’m pretty dam positive the overall GI is going to be low.

1 Like

Hi all

We are having the GI tested, but the results may be a few weeks.

The maltodextrin amount is tiny (about 1%) and it’s only a carrier. The tapioca flour is the main source of the carbs.

4 Likes

Actually so excited to try this in the next few weeks as I love Huel! But it was forever giving me a bad stomach, I recently found out I’m intolerant to Kelp so I’m hoping this new black one will not make me feel ill! Also I love that it’s 50% lower carb!! Hooray! :smile::raised_hands:

You probably havent even tried Hiel with kelp…so something else must have been the cause.

1 Like

I thought huel had kelp in which is why they have taken it out? I’m hoping that is the cause as I love huel! but it’s the only thing in it which I can think gives me a bad stomach!

Actually just looked and the one I have used is the one with kelp in, so yes I’m sure that’s it… as I’m intolerant.

None of the previous versions of Huel have had kelp.
They have JUST released v3 which is the first ever version to contain kelp. It’s very unlikely you have been consuming this version as it’s literally just been released.
They also have just released Huel Black, which they decided to release without kelp due to the concern expressed by some consumers of the possible shellfish contamination which is an allergy risk.

1 Like

Did you check the bag? Or the website?
Previous versions on the website are only available in the outlet store, so if you’re looking on the regular website you will be looking at the ingredients of v3 and even though it will look like what you have previously bought, you will very likely have been buying v2.3 if it’s been over this last year.

It’s possible that the sucralose is what caused your stomach issues. Huel Black is also sucralose free so this is probably a good product for you to go with any way especially as you want to avoid kelp :slight_smile:

2 Likes

when your first delivery of Black Edition touches down after 6,308 miles in 34 hours - bless you FedEx

5 Likes

Honestly I think I’ve confused myself! I just know that I’ve tried the very old vanilla and then the new one they brought out! Yes I’ve just seen it might sucralose as I don’t do good with sweeteners! D: Either way I’m hoping this doesn’t give me a bad stomach and feel ill like the ones I’ve tried as I love Huel and it’s so filling :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@DaisyFlowers23 they are now on version 3 of the powder (previously had v1 v2 v2.2 v2.2 v2.3 I think!!). Plus there was old vanilla and new vanilla ! Just to confuse you even more.
Regardless, it’s highly unlikely you tried the one with kelp unless you’ve literally just tried it in the last couple of weeks.
Huel Black is a fairly different formula to any you will have tried - lower fibre, no oats, lower carbs, no sucralose, plus has probiotics, so you may well get on with it better.
Let us know!
I’ve just ordered some too so I’m looking forwards to trying it

Unless you bought it after December 15 it didn’t have kelp :slight_smile:

1 Like

my optimism in FedEx’s abilities may have been premature - I’ve spent the last day trying to explain to them what a scoop is before they will clear it for a delivery - seriously I’m on my 5th mail reply now and have included both words and pictures. #scoopgate

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: that’s a whole nother level of scoopgate you’ve got there!!!

Surely - ‘plastic spoon’ is good enough?!

1 Like

not when your dealing with spoons it seems

I suspect its the usual courier unnecessary delaying tactics to cut down on workload pre and post public holidays - always seems to happen - ludicrously obtuse questions and pointless delays.

1 Like

Sorry for all the confusion. I think the lovely Hueligans here have answered most your questions. We have an article here to help with the topline information on the differences in the Huel range

James has also linked to some chagnes articles in his original post above too - Launching Huel Black Edition

Let us know how you’re getting along and if you need any pro tips you know where to come!