Let's chat all things Huel Powder šŸŒŸ

Hey Hueligans! Some of you will know me as substitute Tim over the last few years, but for those who donā€™t know me - Iā€™m Cam and Iā€™m part of the Customer Insights team at Huelā€¦ meaning I see and collate everything you all say. :eyes:

Iā€™ve been pondering something latelyā€¦ with all the buzz around our Black Edition and Essential, Iā€™m curious: what keeps you hooked on our classic Huel Powder (currently v3.1)?

Letā€™s make it quick and sweet:
What made you choose Huel Powder initially over Black Edition & Essential?
What keeps you coming back for more?

Your insights are gold! Canā€™t wait to hear what you think. Thanks!

1 Like

Why not essential? Because it tastes sweet, and so white Unsweetened/Unflavored is better.

Why not black unsweetened? Because oats are good for me.

2 Likes

Hi Cam, I have used the white version for quite a few years now. I have tried most flavours of black and I could not get to grips with the taste. I have a few open bags of black lurking at the back of my cupboard, probably long out of date.
I have tried both the essentials but they play havoc with my tummy. :unamused::roll_eyes: and I cant drink them on their own. The taste is ok though.
I was always a coffee powder v3.0 lover but the new version with caramel does not hit the mark with me. Hence why I purchased essentials to mix them together with v3.1
I am awaiting patiently for the rtds to come back in stock as they are a handy go to. :blush:

1 Like

I buy it because itā€™s the mainstream range aimed at the mainstream person. Black edition was released as there is a demand for a higher protein lower carb version which better fits some peoples lifestyles, and essential was released to offer a cheaper product with some ingredients removed, but I stick with v3.1 because itā€™s the mainstream product.

I also stick with it because Iā€™ve been buying the original flavour and adding cacao powder to it since I began with Huel. Apart from U/U, all of the other flavours are too strong to be able to flavour it yourself, which was one of the original selling points of Huel, but this has been somewhat lost with the amount of new flavours released and loss of the link to the recipes section on the main site.

2 Likes

Werenā€™t around when I started with Huel. Iā€™ve tried Essential and it seems weaker to me whereas Black Edition (for the two Iā€™ve tried) seem better. Iā€™ll stick with the standard as I already like it.

3 Likes

I use all of them.

I use Essential the least.

Original and black probably a similar amount.

1 Like

Assuming my information is up-to-date:

1. Huel Powder contains what I consider a better macronutrient profile for regular use ā€“ Iā€™d only use Huel Black to explicitly increase my protein intake in one area of my diet to make up for a deficiency elsewhere, and honestly if Iā€™m not getting enough protein elsewhere in my diet thatā€™s probably a sign (for me) that Iā€™m not eating well.

2. Huel Powder provides me a better baseline of vitamins and minerals than Huel Essential, especially Omega-3 and lutein/zeaxanthin.

2 Likes

What made you choose Huel Powder initially over Black Edition & Essential?
I considered Essential, but apparently itā€™s lacking in its nutrition (relative to 3.1) and flavour choice is limited, not always in the mood for vanilla and couldnā€™t stomach chocolate at the times I drink Huel (first thing). The price looks great but itā€™s not that much cheaper reallyā€¦ canā€™t get 3 bags for the price of 2 Powder 3.1ā€™s ā€¦ might as well spend the small difference for the latest / most optimal powder.

I donā€™t buy Black because I see it as some kind of fitness oriented / protein product (is that right?) and Iā€™m not looking to bulk or build muscle as such. I did just sink some serious money into a pro level rowing machine so I might give it a try, and replace one of my three monthly order bags of 3.1 as one. To try it and see if it delivers more energy useful for workouts. But other than that it seems pricey.

What keeps you coming back for more?
I had long time difficulty with eating enough and often enough, often feeling sick after I did eat. Especially when out and about or doing things, Iā€™d usually avoid eating to avoid feeling sick. Huel solved that for me. I find it easier to sip slowly even when Iā€™m out or working or with people - keeping me energy filled and ticking all the nutrition boxes that other quick fixes donā€™t have. Easier to digest. Not having to spend too much time thinking about buying it in, managing expiry dates, cooking it, cooking it right (worry is gone of cooking meat not correctly for example). I have it for breakfast and lunch daily. If I can add more to it like a bread roll I will. A scoop of H&S maybe sometimes. Oat Latteā€™s in between. Last 3 months Iā€™ve been mostly Huel (2/3rds 3.1 Powder), Iā€™ve had so much more success with my diet, mood and energy. So much I can now finally buy that rower, and keep fit (with energy control - previously I never really ate enough to have excess calories to burn). Now an extra shake can give me another 400 just to burn. This is all why I keep coming back.

Again I wish it was cheaper, so I could buy more and fit in more. I have to admit, any serious price hikes and Iā€™d have to consider alternative brands. But Iā€™m faithful you will keep it reasonably priced. It does deliver big bang for buck which is how I justify it so far.

3 Likes

v3.1 for 3+ shakes daily, for the macro balance.
BE for 1-2 shakes daily with a vegan diet, for the protein.
Essential for occasional snacking, for the price.

1 Like

I mainly buy 3.1 because itā€™s the one that better fits my macros desire. I donā€™t have any reasons to reduce carbs and I feel 3.1 is sold as a more premium version of Essential (plus I like the Unsweetened version)

2 Likes

They didnā€™t exist yet.

Nothing. Essential is cheaper (though worse in all other ways). I would prefer to buy v3.1, but I cannot justify it.

1 Like

I use BE and have never used the other powders.
The simplicity appeals and I want high protein.

1 Like

Why exactly are ā€œoats good for youā€? Who says that? Do you have any evidence about that?

Oats have nutrients.

I use Huel Powder as 90% of my calorie intake. Most days itā€™s 100%. I always thought we needed carbs for optimal nutrition, thatā€™s why I prefer 3.1 rather than Black.

If you have a different evidence, I donā€™t discard switching to Black, but I always thought Huel recommended to eat carbs for optimal nutrition.

1 Like

I was always a classic white powder guy (canā€™t be bothered to rephrase that ā€¦ :grin: )

I switched to Black Edition because I thought the extra protein would fill me up more so I could eat slightly less (I use Huel to curb weight gain rather than put the pounds on), plus didnā€™t enjoy the bitty texture of the classic white when I shook it up - Black Edition is a smoother blend.

1 Like

I love them all. Finances set the mark. If Iā€™m having a poor month, itā€™s essentials. Also what is available for sale elsewhere (eBay). Never let a good powder go to waste (that reads so wrong).

1 Like

I used to buy the classic but once I tried Black and experienced that my stomach liked it better and that it kept me satisfied longer I didnā€™t look back.

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually about to go the other way - have been a Black user since I started using Huel but having had a short break Iā€™ve just restarted my subscription but with White original. The reason? Salted Caramel. The Black version of it doesnā€™t quite hit the spot, but up until earlier this year it didnā€™t matter as I could buy Black vanilla and a Salted Caramel flavour boost pack. But my hoard of these ran out back in the summerā€¦ and therefore so did my subscription.

Iā€™ve returning now but am ā€˜downgradingā€™ to White as the flavour is a really important part of keeping me motivated. And the White bag version of salted caramel is immense.

So yeah, this isnā€™t a reply about nutrition, but just an insight as to my reasons for downgrading. I know the flavour boosts probably werenā€™t profitable, but they were what enabled you to upsell me to Black.

1 Like

You could still use alternatives like Salted Caramel concentrate powders like this

as an alternative to flavour boosts that are still Gluten Free/Kosher/Vegan etc