Low carb/Keto Huel

Okay, hoping that someone has experienced not only the weight loss of a keto diet but also the life after so to speak.

Did you experience extreme weight gain after keto? I have heard switching from low carb to moderate carb increases your weight extremely.

I started keto at 95kg, dropped to 77kg, re-gained 10 to 87. That 10 seems to have been composed of ~4kg water, ~3kg muscle (I miscalculated my protein intake on keto so probably lost some) and ~3kg fat. So if we only count the fat, I went 95 —> 84 —> 87, so regained maybe 1/3-1/4 of the lost fat.

Would love to try a low carb option also!

Hi you say you sell a keto shake? Do you have a link / price etc?

Just for the record, i’d love a low carb option preferably macros of 70(F)/25§/5©

I’ve agreed with Tim and the team not to discuss our products in the open setting of their forum - apologies.

1 Like

Okay, but you can open dialogue via email, I’m sure? :grinning:

Huel with lower carbs would be great for me as well. There is no single body type. I have just learned the proportions in HUEL have too much carbs for me (that’s why never managed to loose weight on Huel, even when following the kcal restrictions). My ideal proportions of macro nutrients are Carbs 20%, Proteins 25%, Fat 50%. Other body types would probably need a bit different proportions…

I’m a huge advocate for keto, but if you run a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Not doing so would breach thermodynamics. Your water weight can fluctuate by up to around +/- 2kg per day, which can hugely impact what the scale says and make it harder to notice a downward trend, especially if it’s disheartening enough to give up, but weight loss (in terms of fat) is entirely dictated by calories in vs calories out.

The benefit of keto (and to a lesser extent, low-carb) when it comes to weight loss is the suppression of the a hormone called ghrelin - which is associated with symptoms of hunger - which allows a larger caloric deficit to be achieved with relative ease. Some also find fats to be more satiating than carbs which also helps, but again, it’s all about suppression of hunger, not a change to calories in vs calories out (although a few studies show that switching to a ketogenic diet can slightly raise calories out with no other action required too - but it’s still calories in vs calories out).

4 Likes

Yeah I am also interested in a Keto version. Quite happy to add my own olive oil e.t.c. if needed as long as there was a good base there.

Huel consists of mainly Oatmeal, Brown Rice, and Flaxseed. Take those out and you have really nothing left. Ketogenic diets are bad for your health anyways. It’s basically a lie that carbs are bad for you. Any food can be so called “bad for you”. If you’re eating good carbs, like oatmeal, and not bad carbs like potato chips, you should be okay.

You mean slow vs fast carbs right?

What an insane comment “Ketogenic diets are bad for your health anyways”. That’s absolutely ridiculous. Ketogenic diets are known to help many illnesses as well as help different people with focus, training etc. Everyone is different. keto will work for some, and not others.

On Keto i was eating 2500 calories a day and losing weight. With a ‘normal’ diet i have to lower that to around 2200 just stay maintaining.

Each diet is different to the person and their goals.

I’m quite fussy with food and i travel a lot with work so i struggled to keep the keto diet going, however if i was able to i’d most certainly be on Keto instead of carbs. As you say, different variations on carbs etc but to say Keto is bad your health is ludicrous.

Please do some research on the long term effects of keto. It’s not recommended.

That statement is the same as saying complete foods are bad because Soylent is bad. But there is a large difference in the healthfulness of Soylent vs Huel.

A well designed ketogenic diet is as good as any other good diet that promotes good health. Unfortuntately, there are very few people who design it well.

1 Like

An alternate explanation of this effect is that your gut microbiome shifting to a different set point in response to changes in diet cause your body’s immune response to panic leading to inflammation and increased white adipose production. The same thing happens when going into keto for some people. Keto flu can be framed as your body depleting chemicals associated mitochondrial repair during this shift combining with changes in the way cells deal with the krebs cycle.

Lots of ancient customs around fasting (which causes carb depletion in muscles and shifts the body into fat burning mode) in various cultures involve loading up on fermented food and high levels of various plant terpenes that seem to shift the gut, as well as food rich in chemicals needed for mitochondrial repair, fat oxygenation, and liver maintenance.

I’ve been cycling between ultra low carb and resistant starches (with huel) and have not had weight gain, but I’m i’m spending a lot of time targeting TRP pathways that seem to effect microbial regulation in the gut. Dealing with Multiple Sclerosis, Crohn’s Disease and Autism (With what I think are localized micro seizures) and it’s the only thing that has been helping me avoid symptoms.

I’ve lost 30lbs from a water fast, and over 50 lbs total, and kept it off over a year and ah half. I don’t exercise any more than normal (low to none), and I’ve been eating more total calories. My body basil body temp has shifted shifted from 96.8 to 99 tho. This is not supposed to happen by conventional wisdom on how our body’s respond to water weight.

Your millage will necessarily vary.

1 Like

I’ve cut 20lbs since July 27th (174lb to 154lb) without any magic diet fads like “Keto”. My diet consisted of an average of 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. Carbs aren’t bad. What’s bad is what you eat and how you eat. Donuts and oatmeal are both carbs, but one is better for you. I won’t get into it, but having multiple meals per day isn’t good for you either.

I will now get back into my bulk cycle for the winter, and start cutting again in 5-6 months (Y)

Donut diet sounds great to me :doughnut::yum::yum::yum:

1 Like

I’m not sure we should take the experience and opinion of one man as evidence of anything.