Mac and Cheeze change

The old mac and cheese was by far my fav of all the savoury Huel flavours. It was cheesy, thick and like another member said, it felt quite indulgent.

Had one bowl of the new version today and it definitely felt like a let down :frowning: Too much pasta, not enough sauce and blander in flavour.

I’ll try mixing up the bag more to see if I can get the consistency better next time and will report back but atm it feels like a step backwards…

2 Likes

I’ve had the new version a few times now. I have to agree with most of the feedback.

The texture is better, but the cheesy flavour is less but also I find the consistency of the sauce varies more so than any other of the hot and savoury varieties.

I’ve mixed up the bag thoroughly and for example the one I had for my evening meal today was actually really thick and needed more water yet a couple days ago it was too much pasta.

When it is thicker it doesn’t taste anywhere as good as the old version and I think it’s a backward step.

I even tried it a couple of days ago with added hot oat milk to make it creamier but it didn’t help.

I added some nutritional yeast today and it made it better, but still not as good as I’d hope.

I t

Adding this and that because you want to is one thing, adding things to ‘fix’ the formula is against the entire point of the product. What a shame that a meal that most seemed to really like has had negative changes made to it.

4 Likes

I completely agree with this, I didn’t know there was an update out, so when I had my first portion of the new bag I was like, something’s wrong and went to look at the bag, nothing on there was changed so I was a little confused, then I noticed the new shape of the pasta and was like, danggit, they went and changed it didn’t they…

I probably won’t be rebuying this either, shame as the old version was part of my Huel rotation.

2 Likes

Thanks for voicing your concerns over the new Mac & Cheeze version. I think it’s important to note that those who aren’t liking it were huge fans of the old Mac & Cheeze, but there are also some who perhaps didn’t like the old one who either like the new one or found the changes announced more appealing.

We changed Mac & Cheeze based on feedback but also looked at how many people returned to repurchase Mac & Cheeze. It’s always a very difficult balance, do we risk annoying current customers, and accept that a flavour (Mac & Cheeze in this case) will never reach its potential. Or do we change it and see improvements in the long term?

In this case we opted for the latter and we won’t know the success of it for a few months. We will be keeping an eye on the feedback of course, but the test here will be whether more people come back and repurchase new Mac & Cheeze, as opposed to whether past customers like it or not.

I hope that doesn’t come across as dismissive of our Hueligans viewpoints because this feedback is really important to us. It’s a really tough balance, but ultimately we think the new Mac & Cheeze is going to appeal more widely.

I also agree with the comments confused why the version hasn’t changed. We are actually removing it from the front of pouches, but we have pouches with it on still as we buy pouches in bulk. You will start to see fewer references to version numbers on H&S.

1 Like

Having tested the new mac and cheese over a few days I can confirm that I am hugely disapointed with the new version. :frowning:

Bring back the old version!!

Hi Charlotte, I appreciate that it is a delicate balance you have to walk updating products and I love the fact that you are engaging with and listening to comments!

I think an update should ideally aim to retain current fans whilst bringing new ones on board. Obviously you can’t please everyone and this is a tricky goal to accomplish.

However it appears that there aren’t any fans of the old version who are happy with the update :face_with_monocle:

TBH I felt the old version was perfect - so I really hope that after a few months we can revert back to that or at least offer it as an alternative option.

Thanks for listening!

I still haven’t tried the new version yet as I still have a bag and a half left. The descriptions here seem to be in line with the official Huel email I received about the change, more pasta and less cheese sauce, that’s why I highlighted the concern in the first place.

I definitely will be trying the new version (1 bag rather than the usual 5) and need to reserve my opinion for then, but I can anticipate what it will be.

Charlotte, your explanation is perfectly reasonable, certainly not dismissive. I hope that the feedback here is taken on board and further changes will be considered if the feedback shows that’s what is wanted.

I never got original flavour Huel powder back :frowning: I hope i don’t feel the same about this.

Peace out

Didn’t realise there had been a change until I opened my bag and saw loads more pasta than usual.

Is it special high protein pasta?

I loved the creamy thick nature of the old version as that’s how I like regular mac and cheese.

Was disappointed with the new flavour. Seemed less rich and tasteful.

Only had one serving so maybe I didn’t put enough sauce in?

Would be nice if you could buy the powder separately as it would help with making it more consistent at home.

[quote=“5kg2go, post:49, topic:24168”] Is
it special high protein pasta
[/quote]

Nope, nope.

This is exactly what happened to RTD Chocolate - Recipe and flavour changed but version number remained the same :disappointed:

Is this because you will be updating them more often on their own schedule?

I think the new Mac n Cheeze is really poor. Watery sauce. The original was better in every way, very disappointed.

1 Like

Just tried the new Mac & Cheeze this evening for the first time and I love it!

Each to their own, but I MUCH prefer the new one.

I found the old one came with way too much powder and cornflour in particular, so it just thickened so much and the pasta often was lost in the vast quantity of gloop. The flavour was somewhat overly strong for me too. Also, the old one took so much stirring to not get dry clusters, and so much time standing to soften the pasta sufficiently.

The pasta to sauce ratio is much better now in my opinion, just got to give the bag a really good shake first. Also the pasta softens so much quicker, therefore ready to eat much quicker! I really like the new size and shape too.

I’ll be buying a lot more of this flavour. :yum:

2 Likes

Loved the old version. Not that keen on the new one. Too much pasta and not enough powder / sauce - resulting in a bland, thin, watery taste.

1 Like

I’m so disappointed. The old Mac & Cheeze was by far and away the best of all the options and I don’t understand what this change was meant to achieve.

TBH I don’t care about the pasta it’s all about the sauce. The old version was thick and gloppy and had a pleasant taste. The new version is watery and flavorless and yes I measure the mix and water to the exact instructions.

Oh well three bags to go and then I can get rid of it from my order.

2 Likes

It’s actually more to do with making ordering packaging a bit easier to manage.

Yeah, I’m done with mac n Cheeze.

It was my favourite but just tastes bland and plain now.

Please don’t change the Cajun one!

2 Likes

I was dreading the tasting of the new version because the original was my favourite H&S product. So I tried my first meal of the new updated version today. There is less sauce, but I don’t personally think that it is a drastic change or makes too much difference. Also, the taste seems perfectly ok for me, can’t really tell if this element is much different from the old version to be honest.

So yes there is less sauce and more pasta, the speed at which it cooks seems shorter, and the taste is no worse.

Is it better or worse as a total product? I don’t really have an opinion, it is all ok for me and so I will carry on buying it.

2 Likes

Loved the old version. Thoughts on the new:

First try I was disappointed but think added too much water (lines on the pots are kinda pointless now)

Second try, used less water - much quicker to hydrate - taste was the same. Still my fave flavour. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like