Next generation Bottle / Shaker design

That’s odd @Coup
I guess they had to change the shape to accommodate a foil seal?
I’m guessing the foil seal increases shelf life… (more airtight than the plastic lid? I have no idea actually… why’s there now a foil seal?)

That’s probably it. I’ve never seen that design on anything that doesn’t have a foil seal.

@David how did you respond to my post before I’d even posted it? I was still typing when your reply popped up :exploding_head:

The folded design doesn’t feel very nice when you drink out of it.

1 Like

I’m from the future. I came here in a time machine that you invented.

1 Like

He could carry some dehydrated water, it doesn’t take up much space.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: that made me chuckle!

1 Like

I’m not sure the current one is exactly masculine - reminds me very much of one those cups they give you at Starbucks for one of their extra sluttly Frappuccinos, piled high with fake cream and syrup that they then squash back in with the domed lid.

Here’s my Forum Tanty Pacifier Special Edition Shaker - sorry - couldn’t help myself :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I remember seeing that the RTD bottle manufactured in mainland Europe used foil seals all the time whereas the US manufactured ones didn’t so maybe the UK supplied drinks are from Europe not the US now.

if you’re wanting to be really flash you could portion up using small water soluble paper pouches that are heat sealable and you can even inkjet print the Huel logo on them if you like :slight_smile: Smartsolve bags (can be bought in packs of 100) and heat sealers are available cheaply on Amazon. Smartsolve bags are inert so fine to use for food and dissolve completely in any temperature water in a matter of seconds.

:astonished: :exploding_head:
Now that’s cool :sunglasses:

Needed reminding from my wife about where our bamboo crockery is from - BoBo and Boo

Just to show that is it possible to make bamboo products that have non-toxic glues;

https://www.eatwell-uk.co.uk/bobo-and-boo-faqs

“WHAT THE HECK IS A ‘FOOD-GRADE BINDING RESIN?’

That’s just fancy-schmancy talk for the tiny inclusion of a non-toxic, food safe melamine binder that is required to make our products dishwasher safe. It is mixed with the natural bamboo fibres to help extend the life of your bobo&boo dinnerware and keeps it in tip-top shape.

As much as we wish our bamboo products could be made of 100% organic elements, we also understand the value and importance of creating dishwasher-safe products in today’s busy society. And we’re not alone; despite what other brands may suggest, we have done extensive manufacturing research and are not aware of any bamboo dinnerware products currently on the market that are 100% melamine free. But we keep on searching…

We don’t want to create any parent noia (see what we did there? wink) and we assure you that all our products are 100% non-toxic, food safe and comply with all standards and regulations; but as we value honesty and transparency with our tribe, we just wanted to be upfront about that.”

1 Like

Just thrown a quick design together. I’d definitely benefit from being able to carry powder with me in the bottle. This was just a quick one and I’ve already got several ideas of ways to make this much better but building off of David’s idea of having a capsule inside the bottle this is a screwtop take on that.

The fins ensure a good fit inside the bottle but prevent a vacuum building up below it making it difficult to remove.

When it’s not 2am I’m going to make an improved design that allows for 2 or 3 capsules to be able to fit inside the bottle, and that can be neatly stacked if the bottle is in use.

9 Likes

That’s pretty nice!

Massive fan! Ticking a lot of boxes with this
What do you think @Tim_Huel ?
@LifeThroughALens you know much about materials too? Alternatives to plastics / recycled plastic options for products like this

Ideally some sort of bio-plastic. The problem with bioplastics is that they are only better than other plastics if they are taken to an industrial composter. As these products aren’t designed as single use products, there’s a better chance that when they reach the end of their life they would be properly recycled by their owner, but that’s no guarantee.

Realworld alternatives that are ready for manufacture today are slim but there’s plenty on the horizon.

I think I’d probably suggest bioplastic for this, but you could make this out of metal but it would have to be something like stainless steel that doesn’t rust otherwise it’s pointless. However that’ll increase the price and weight significantly.

1 Like

I thought about this same thing a while back, in context of hiking/camping. Turns out that the volume of the standard Huel shaker is I think exactly big enough to take three 100g powder pods, if they’re sized and shaped to stack perfectly inside it in a cone, up to the point where the mesh sits. My thought would be that you’d design in a gap down the side of each pod and have a fabric strap that hooked onto the bottom pod and ran all the way up the side for easy removal.

On the flip side, with four ziplocs (one inside the lid) you can fit four meals. Messier, harder to fill, etc. But works right now already.

I’m re-designing it more accurately and I think I can make it for 3 capsules that keep roughly this design and screw together into one spaceship type look so they can all be removed as one, then you just unscrew the compartment you want to access. I think generally people would want up to 3 portions to be held in there at once so I think 3 is a good number to work with.

Once I’ve got the design down I’ll print a prototype and report back here.

3 Likes

… of course the other option is three columnar capsules, though I guess they might be more annoying to fill, and you still might not gain the advantage of making them all identical because the container doesn’t have rotational symmetry. That said, if you made them as prismatic third segments of a hexagon, maybe…?

How about making the container a domed screw in device that fits inside inverted in the shaker cap? that would remove the need for the fins and negate the vacuum issue. The screw threads could be quite stylised. deep and not full circumfrence so when the container is removed and the drink is shook - the protruding threads in the cap could also act as agitators to help break up the powder.