Original Flavour Huel is Back!

I think this is an important point. If someone handed you two cups and asked “Are these different?” then you would really analyse it, possibly overthink it (guess that’s why placebos are important in science). But it’s more difficult to do when you’re making comparisons based on memory. We knew we wouldn’t be able to match Original perfectly, but I think it’s a pretty good version and most will not know the difference over time.

1 Like

What is the reason why you don’t you offer this flavour in Europe and for Black Edition?

They stagger new product roll outs - it was launched in the US first then UK and is already on the EU store.

Black Edition is a completely different formula that doesn’t use oats - so would be difficult to create an oaty flavoured version…

Obviously this is completely subjective and we’re all wired up differently, but blimey, 3.0 tastes nothing like 2.3 to me. I love original 2.3 and have been worried about this change coming.

I will say that I am happy that I don’t dislike 3.0, so I should be able to keep having it, but I feel the taste is nowhere near as nice.

When the new vanilla came out, I really didn’t like it, so never went back. The taste of original 3.0 is more akin to that, thus not like 2.3. at all imo, but like I say, I don’t dislike this.

I have no doubt the Huel team worked very hard, clearly they spent a lot of extra time working on it, so props to them for that.

1 Like

One thing I should clarify is that I always use flavour sachets, instant coffee or flavdrops in all of my shakes, this could well be masking the taste difference between V2.3 and V3.

When new vanilla came out, I found the taste wasn’t compatible with the flavourings that I liked and used so never got on with it, V3 original to my taste works with my flavour sachets so that is a plus for me.

After doing a side by side comparison with the little v2.3 that I have left, I’m sad to say that to my taste buds, it’s nowhere near its predecessor. It’s basically 2.3 with significantly less taste. Just can’t feel that oaty sweetness that made original special anymore. Trying to look on the bright side it’s still pretty good, better than v3 vanilla, and it will blend fine with the flavour boosts, but I just have to face the fact that my favorite Huel is gone forever.

1 Like

I know how you feel as I still fantasise about v2.3 chocolate. V3 chocolate isn’t even remotely similar to the old version.

I am really pleased that original is back and I’ve orded a bag. I can use it with or without the flavour system whereas I found the vanilla to be not plain enough to my taste. I’m hoping an original flavour black Huel will be next.

1 Like

I still don’t get the “advantage” of this flavour…is it sweetened/unflavoured? Then it should be possible to replicate it easily without the need for an additional flavour…

it was the taste of the original Huel formulation hence the name, a slightly sweet, vanilla and oaty taste that remains popular with long term users.

with the combined effect of different formation changes and peoples different taste sensations - its not.

Plus the name makes it more difficult – while any other named flavour can be passed as off as the ‘new’ version so taste differences can be accepted – when something is called Original – that’s quite a definitive statement, so expectations would be that it tastes exactly the same.

If it doesn’t, then the entitled uproar will be even louder than usual – especially from people who don’t know the difference between what is taste and texture.

This is why, in my opinion, the name is an insult to the real original since it tastes so different.

I’ve been buying original almost exclusively since early 2016 and I’ve been one of the vocal ones about keeping it alive. I have no issue with the new version, I actually prefer it. It doesn’t taste 100% the same as before but Huel have made the decision to transition to natural flavours and it’s the closest match possible so it’s this or nothing.

1 Like

in your opinion - others disagree with you. such is way with peoples perception of tastes. I used 2.3 Original for a year+ and have a new bag of 3.0 that I’ll open and try out in a few days. In their defence - Julian did put the question out there if people would be happy to have it back with a flavour that was close if not the same - they could have quite easily just dropped it altogether but people seemed OK to accept the compromise.

interestingly - it seems no one on the US site has made any comment on the new Original one way or another which is odd given that their entitled drama BS is off the charts on most threads compared to this forum.

dunno whether to take that as a good sign or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, I’m one of those who voted that I would be OK with an “80-90% closeness”, but to me it’s more like 50%. It’s absolutely better than dropping it completely but this is really made me wonder about this new natural formula and wish it hadn’t changed in the first place, which is why I just made an new topic about it to get some answers.

There’s no great mystery there – market trends drive this heavily. The consumer demand for greater transparency in - and reduced amounts of - listed artificial ingredients is the single biggest factor in sales growth in many industry sectors currently, from food to personal care products.

Sign of the times that isn’t going away anytime soon.

But if it is not really (only “slightly”) sweet then it can’t be good.

OK so this morning I made up two batches of ‘new’ Original, one for breakfast and one to put in the fridge for later.

When Original finished, I switched to Black Vanilla. I found that nice and only a little sweeter than Original. In line with the rest of v3, texture wise it’s a little thinner than 2.3 but I would expect that to thicken up by the time I come to drink the second one.

It definitely is slightly sweeter than Black Edition so extrapolating that then yes, its noticeably sweeter than 2.3.

In respect to is it a good match to Original 2.3? not really. Is it a good product? Yes. It’s pleasant to drink and like @Coup I think I actually prefer it this way. It’s easy to drink and can be done so without the need for any additional flavourings (so no additional sweeteners or sugars) being added.

I would imaging dialling down the sweetness slightly would bring it closer.

Edit – I had the 2nd Original shake that had been sat in the refrigerator 4+ hours, the sweetness was much less prominent and had blended into the taste more – I’d say to the level of Black vanilla again.

I didn’t bother with V 2.3 Original as I didn’t like it much but I do prefer this new V 3.0 more. Going to grab one from the fridge in a minute and will be ordering more this week.