Time to finally lose some weight

I wouldn’t even come close to believing those scales. They still put me at 25% bodyfat even though I can see the exact attachments of my pectoral muscles on my chest. They’re hideously inaccurate, I got rid of mine.

Most studies I’ve read put maximum lean muscle gain per month at 2lb for men and 1lb for women. These assume perfect conditions and above all, caloric surplus. Can’t build a house with no bricks.

Something isn’t right here - 1200 calorie deficit per day would have you hammering down the scale. The maximum I’ve ever done was a deficit of 800 calories on a very specific TDEE and I was losing around 1kg per week with high consistency. With your deficit, it’d be reasonable to expect even more than that.

I think like all scales they are inaccurate to some degree or other. But if what you are looking at is the trend then that’s less of an issue as they are consistently inaccurate to the same degree. So I was more interested in the fact that they are showing a drop rather than the absolute numbers. Although I don’t think they are that inaccurate as they were within 1% of my Dexa Scan results.

Not necessarily the case for untrained individuals though which I am. I’d been out of the gym completely from October until March because of injury and it’s only in March I started training compound lifts. I’ve seen plenty of studies showing “newbie gains” at closer to 2lbs a month for untrained women. The same studies show that in obese older individuals the fuel for muscle synthesis can be drawn from stored body fat providing there is sufficient protein in the diet and muscles are put under stress - so call it a different type of bricks :grin: I have my own portable builders merchants.

I suspect the main issue is for me is my lymphedema causing very high fluctuations in water retention. My lymphatic drainage system only works at 50% of normal so exercise in particular causes me to hang on to water which can take days to go. That tallies with a 3lb overnight drop I saw today.

Twenty days of a 1200 calorie a day deficit should give me a 6-7lb loss and I’m pretty much at that today. Throw in a bit of water retention and I’m pretty much where I should be. I was just frustrated that my water retention issues have such a big impact and make it look like I’m not losing.

Latest weekly weigh in:
1st May starting stats:
16st 9lbs (233.7lbs, 106kg)
Waist 39”
8th May stats:
16st 5lbs (229.6lbs, 104.1kg)
Waist 38.5”
15th May stats:
16st 6lbs (230.4lbs, 104.5kg)
Waist 38.5"
22nd May stats:
16st 4lbs (228.1lbs, 103.5kg)
Waist 38.5”

A little bit behind where I wanted to be 3 weeks in, but pretty good overall. Getting under 16st by the end of the month is looking tricky but who knows. At least I’ll be closer to it than I was on the 1st May.

2 Likes

Resolutely stuck at 228lbs (16st 4lbs). This has been the number the scales have decided to show me for the last 5 days. Calories wise yesterday was 976, Thursday 1404 and Wednesday 1573. I’ve had a head cold since Tuesday and am feeling generally rubbish.

Did manage a gym session with my PT on Friday which thankfully was a lot of stability work so normal exercises (dumbbell chest press, shoulder press, flyes) but on a bosu or Swiss ball.

Business trip on Monday. Got to love traveling for work on a Bank holiday. Back on Thursday. I’ve booked the hotel without breakfast and will be taking pre-measured portions of Huel to do my Huel combined breakfast/lunch at 12pm and then meal out for dinner in the evening.

That’s exactly what I do, book my hotel without breakfast and prep my daily Huel. Good luck!

1 Like

So the scale finally moved this morning. Unfortunately in the wrong direction - back up to 16st 5lbs. Decided to go to the gym to make myself feel better and managed a good session:
5x5 diagonal leg press @ 160kgs
5x5 bench press @ 30kgs
5x5 deadlift @ 50kgs
5x5 assisted chin ups
Sipping on my post gym vanilla Huel with frozen blueberries and I feel much better.

2 Likes

Well that is the 28 days done. They actually finished whilst I was on a business trip so didn’t get a chance to do my final weigh in until yesterday.
Latest weekly weigh in:
1st May starting stats:
16st 9lbs (233.7lbs, 106kg)
Waist 39”
8th May stats:
16st 5lbs (229.6lbs, 104.1kg)
Waist 38.5”
15th May stats:
16st 6lbs (230.4lbs, 104.5kg)
Waist 38.5"
22nd May stats:
Waist 38.5”
31st May stats:
Waist 38”
Overall a bit disappointing. I know I’m hanging on to water weight from the flight but I’m still disappointed not to have made it under 16st.
On the plus side, I’m really enjoying the weightlifting and a couple of people have commented that I look like I’ve lost a load of weight. I’m also enjoying the Huel and debating doing a 100% week when I get back from holiday.
Thanks for all the support. I fully intend to keep going and I’m determined to get under 16st. I haven’t brought any Huel on holiday so will go for a fresh start when I get back. In the meantime I’m making full use of the fantastic outdoor pool as it’s 26 degrees and I intend to hit the gym tomorrow.
Good luck to all of you on your different weight loss journeys. I wish you every success.

2 Likes

@Liath Don’t be discouraged. 5lb in 28 days is still significant. I have been reading up on water weight a lot recently. As you are now over 2 weeks through, you can now be safe in the knowledge that the 5lb is all fat loss and therefore more likely to stay off! I think you’ve done brilliantly, just think, if every month was like this month, that’s 60lb in a year (4st 3lb)!!!
:green_heart:

3 Likes

Don’t forget all your weightlifting is going to be toning you up and you may have lost more fat than you think :grinning: changes in your body shape may not be reflected in the scales. You’re doing great, glad to hear you’re not discouraged despite your disappointment and will keep going. Good luck!

1 Like

I’m always in two minds about hotels which have scales in the bathroom. On one hand, there is part of me that thinks “I’m on holiday, I don’t want to know”. On the other hand, it’s useful to keep in the habit of daily weigh ins.
So, I’ve kept up the habit and happy to report that despite not bring Huel with me I’m holding steady at 228-229lbs.
I was planning on trying the underwater spin class but then I remembered a) I hate cardio b) I hate spin classes especially, so decided to skip it in favour of more swimming and a lovely walk along the coast (3km each way).

1 Like

Restarting post holiday today. I seem to have settled at 229lbs so need a push to get my next goal which is 223lbs or 15st 13lbs.

Two things I have noticed:

1. I am changing shape. Both my legs and arms are smaller and have more shape.
  2. I don’t drink anywhere near enough water.

So, plan is to aim for 1200-1400 calories a day and make sure I drink 2 litres of water (not including the water in my Huel). I’m also keeping up the weight training. Leg press has progressed so I did 10 rep warm up set at 120kg, 5 reps at 220kg and then 4x5 at 200kg. Building up to doing 5x5 at 220kg. Gradually upping the bench press too.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’ve cleared up this thread so it can remain on topic. Sorry for the interruption.

7 Likes

i think complicated meals is also a problem for me. if i’m going to be cooking i’d rather be cooking something more interesting than just some rice, simple chicken and veg
that’s why i’ve been trying to turn to meal replacements but have been having a hard time with finishing them… :frowning:

1 Like

Are you struggling to enjoy Huel?
If so, spend some time browsing the forum and you’ll find some good suggestions and ideas.
What flavour are you currently having? And how are you making it? (How many scoops, how much water, are you adding plant milk or cacao or fruit or flavour boost? Do you fridge it? )

1 Like

Yep but I am trying to push through. Seems like a lot of people enjoy it and I’m trying to lose some weight

I have the vanilla one as I don’t really enjoy chocolate flavoured products and apparently am not much a risk taker with flavours :sweat_smile:
I’ll keep browsing the forums though! I’m new here and am looking for any tips & tricks I can find :smiley:

I’m generally one 2.5 scoops with about 400ml of water for dinner or 1 scoop with 300ml of water
I haven’t tried using any sort of milk yet and haven’t tried the flavour boosts yet either and don’t fridge it but I do use refrigerated water. A previous meal replacement brand that I tried recommended the refrigerated water and I found that it made it easier to drink than room temperature water

I’m not generally a picky eater but I am a big foodie so I think that’s why I’m having a hard time with meal replacements in general. I quite liked this French brand called SoShape but found them pricey so wanted to test out Huel.

@Marshmallows refrigerating for a few hours or overnight makes a huge difference to the texture as does blending with ice cubes.

1 Like

Yep I second @Bee ‘s advice on refrigerating it for a few hours - it improves the flavour and texture dramatically, not just because it’s cold, but soaking softens the oat powder and also mellows out the sweetness of the vanilla flavour.

Do you like coffee? If so, adding good-quality dry instant coffee granules (either decaf or regular) works really well.
I’d suggest cacao but you don’t like chocolate.
Adding a small amount of milk 100-300ml also changes the flavour and texture. Personally I like Oatly, or Alpro hazelnut or coconut. If you drink dairy apparently that works well too but I can’t vouch for that as I’ve not tried it.

I’d say keep experimenting - it takes a while to find what you like. You could try one of the other flavours next time. I’d recommend original and UU and mix them together to create a plain and slightly sweet flavour.
This then gives a good base to add your own flavours to if you want to.
I like the mint choc as well. It’s more minty than chocolate so you might like it

2 Likes

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve continued this discussion in a new thread so I can keep my weight loss tracking thread on topic.
The new thread is here: Mixing your perfect Huel
Welcome to the forum @Marshmallows!

Sorry for derailing your thread, Carly :grin:

1 Like

:grin::grin::grin:
Apologies - I’m being a bit too attentive to the housekeeping after Tim cleaned up so nicely yesterday :blush:

4 Likes