V3.0 is here!

I’d say I meant personal grooming but that makes it worse.

I’ll pay the fine for attempting to illegally returning to the topic tho, that’s fair enough and I know I was wrong to do such an irresponsible thing, your honour. Please have mercy.

2 Likes

Agreed, we will get this changed it’s not a good journal. Thanks for spotting.

RDAs are sometimes not what is considered optimal. There is debate because more data is needed on what could be considered optimal for vitamin C intake and we’ve gone for higher than the RDA, see here.

5 servings of fruit and vegetables will provide you with around 200-250mg of vitamin C, which I think we can agree is fine. Couple this with there being no real downsides to consuming more vitamin C because the toxicity is low and from a safety and possible beneficial point of view there are few negatives for going above the RDA.

You also need to consider vitamin C in the context of Huel. There are antinutrients, particularly phytic acid, which are naturally present in Huel from the oats and flaxseed. These antinutrients decrease the absorption of iron, which could already be an issue because it’s non-heam iron. The good news is high levels of vitamin C can overcome the effects of phytic acid and increases the bioavailability of iron. You can see more in our article here.

It’s probably up to choice. Every test for fish etc that we have conducted has come back negative and below detection levels. However, even tiny, tiny amounts through contamination can cause an allergic reaction, to us, that’s not worth the risk and we want to properly inform our customers. Considering kelp grows in the sea surrounded by these allergens it’s simply not possible to be 100% sure that the risk is zero.

The Vegan Society says “they are not against foods labelled as vegan also carrying a ‘may contain’ warning about animal allergens.”

3 Likes

Hi @Dan_Huel I am not a vegan but am allergic to oysters and mussels. When I see a label saying may contain shellfish I am naturally concerned. However your tests have shown your kelp to be safe. Would you take the risk?

Hi @fromfinland - the vitamin C level is similar to v2.3; it’s merely the source that’s changed. There are a number of reasons why huel requires a higher vitamin C level, one is that it’s essential for iron status which you can read more about here.

1 Like

No I wouldn’t. It’s just not worth the risk with allergens. As Julian has mentioned we will have v2.3 available at least for the next couple of months so I would stick to that.

Thanks @Dan_Huel. That is sad, I have been a keen supporter eating Huel twice daily since April 2017. While I understand the need to keep improving the recipe, It seems if you can’t guarantee to me that the new version is shellfish free I can’t see how V.3.0 can be vegan.

I will look out for the remaining stocks of V2.3 but I can’t help but feel disappointed that those of us who have made Huel such a big part of our diets and have nut and shellfish allergies can no longer enjoy your latest products.

Christian

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. Rest assured we have taken this feedback on board.

2 Likes

Everyone here, we really need to clarify something, if you have genuine allergies to mustard, molluscs, crustaceans or fish then we cannot and do not recommend you consume v3.0 because the risks are not worth it.

We have conducted tests yes, and to vegans we can assure you that our tests, and the Vegan Society’s guidance, show that Huel is still vegan. But if you have genuine allergies to mustard, molluscs, crustaceans or fish then it is not worth the risk.

4 Likes

I’m quite disappointed that Huel 3.0 contains pro biotics. My motivation for using Huel is as a convenient meal replacement. I’m not a vegan nor do I calorie count per se, nor do I ‘manage’ my diet. My motivation to Huel is the convenience factor. However I do like to ensure my meals/meal products contain what I want to consume. This brings me to the point that I do not want to consume pro biotics. I feel that I do not need them, and, historically have not used them. I understand the evidence base surrounding pre biotics but do not want to consume them. I feel that by including this Huel is becoming a health product. I have decided to continue to use Huel, but for the convenience, however I dislike the idea of consuming pro biotics.

Thanks @Tim_Huel

Do you have an ETA for the V2.3 outlet store going live?

I’m not sure if the swapping of pre/pro is a mistake in your post but my understanding is Huel has always contained the prebiotics - they just weren’t advertised as a feature before.

Biotics. Are you pro- or anti-?

It is meant to read pro biotics. Sorry my talk to text is not accurate.

Can someone give a high-level explanation of what pre/pro biotics are? Explain it like I’m dumb. Let’s just pretend…

1 Like

Your tummy is all full up with germs but they are kind germs. Huel will put sleeping kind germs in Huel so your tummy has more kind germs and your tummy works better and you do more bottom burps.

Pre and pro refer to the education level of the germs. Probiotics hold a doctorate.

6 Likes

Erm no, explain it like I’m dumb

10 Likes

Apologies if this has been asked but can we expect v3 to be the formula used for the ready to drink option?

1 Like

Good question. There hasn’t been any indication that Huel RTD will be reformulated. In fact, Julian said here that RTD will not include kelp, so I would assume it’s not changing

So basically, prebiotics are Huel for probiotics?

1 Like