V3.1 vs Essential (chocolate)

Hey

Has anyone here tried both of these? I was wondering if essentials is closer in taste to v3.0 than the new stuff…

I just received my latest order and honestly i don’t think v3.1 is for me.
I really can’t explain why but V3.1 and huel black edition have such a strong unpleasant aftertaste (for me anyway)

Thoughts appreciated

1 Like

Haven’t tried v3.1 yet (so not much help!), but can totally recommend chocolate Essential. Oaty, biscuity, not too sweet, chocolate flavour not too strong, nicer than v3.0 or BE at least to my taste. I could happily drink it all day.

2 Likes

So you don’t report any weird sweet artificial aftertaste with the Essential?
(thats the issue with chocolate 3.1)

With all disclaimers about subjectivity… no, if anything I’d say it’s a more natural sweetness than v3.0 or BE, maybe from the increased amount of oats? Anyway, no aftertaste, just easy-drinking fresh-tasting goodness. Tastes ‘lighter’ to me, if that makes any sense.

1 Like

@MarieL Can I ask what it is about the new v3.1 flavour that you don’t enjoy?

In the new recipe we have included a new Belgium chocolate flavour which contains Belgium chocolate extract, as well as new cocoa powder at a much higher percentage than the previous recipe.

It has a very strong unpleasant maybe artificial? aftertaste and the texture of the powder also seems a lot different it clumps together and is quite thick.

I had the same experience with black edition though that had a much stronger aftertaste (for me anyway)

I understand everyones taste is different i was just hoping to figure out what was added perhaps that doesn’t agree with me? Just so i can figure out what to order next. I’ve been 100% huel only for well over a year now so I’m pretty reliant on it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for giving some details on this and again I’m sorry to hear that it wasn’t a positive change for you.

If you could please drop an email to our team at team@huel.com we would love to be able to help.

I just received the essential vanilla and chocolate.
Vanilla I liked. Reminds me of a vanilla wafer.

Chocolate not so much. I couldn’t taste any chocolate and it left a weird aftertaste in my mouth.
I also don’t care for the v3.0 chocolate. Actually I haven’t found anything chocolate from huel that I care for

1 Like

We all have our personal preferences, but can I ask what it is about the chocolate flavours you don’t care for/ could be improved?

@Charlotte_Huel
I don’t taste any chocolate in Huel chocolate powders. Also the aftertaste is not appealing at all. Yesterday after having chocolate essentials I grabbed some chips and salsa to get rid of that funky taste in my mouth from the Huel

I’ve just gone back to Chocolate BE after a lot of Choc Essential. There’s a much stronger and richer chocolate flavour in the BE, and it’s delicious, but the mild biscuity chocolate of Essential is still my favourite.

Thank you for the feedback @Argon18 it may be a case of personal preference with the chocolate flavour but we will make sure to keep an eye on this.

@epicure that sweet biscuity taste is why v3.0 Original will always have a place in my heart :black_heart:

1 Like

I just got my first heul chocolate 3.1 with my 1k shaker and I have to agree it’s really not good.

It tastes like the huel black. I can’t bear the black for the same reason. The strong artificial sweetener after taste

I loved 3.0 . This is just a no goer for me. I’m not sure I can even get through the bag.

Can we still get 3.0?

1 Like

I don’t think so :sob: I’ve been adding in a scoop of cocoa, hot chocolate powder, anything really to try and hide it but the aftertaste is something else… i ordered some essentials and that was surprisingly worse for me… i feel the same way about huel BE so that’s not an option either… damn

If you’re finding the chocolate difficult to finish because of a bitter aftertaste and don’t want to waste the powder - you could try adding flavours traditionally used in confectionery to soften chocolate bitterness: sea salt, cherry, coffee, almond / hazelnut or vanilla extract.

I’m sorry to hear this, is it the sweetener taste that has been the main taste change for you?

Oh dear, if you’re finding you’re unable to consume the new flavour please reach out to our customer experience team to see if there’s anything they can do to help you out with this. As Phil suggested I like to add hazelnut extract to create a Nutella tasting Huel… and sometimes I do add Nutella too :eyes: and I love this combination, but of course I understand that might not be for everyone.

Yes it sadly is. I am the sort of person who eats practically anything and everything. I do even Luke the taste of huel black. But that sweetener aftertaste is just grating for me. It actually makes me shudder :joy:.

Chocolate v3.0 was by far my favourite but I am sorry to say I doubt I’ll be able to get through the bag let alone get anymore. I have berry as well but that seems unchanged.

Do you know if they plan to change them all over to 3.1?

1 Like

I wonder why the sweetener is causing so much issue for you as its the same as before - maybe one of the other ingredients changes isn’t masking it the same as before?

I do not know to be honest, It is not as bad as Black Edition . But it is just no where near as nice as the old chocolate and the aftertaste is maybe association with the flavours I can not get on with.

Maybe it is just me but it just does not taste anything like 3.0 at all.

Maybe I will try adding some cacao powder to it or hot chocolate to see if I can smooth it out.

1 Like

I had the same problem with chocolate. I couldn’t finish the bag of 3.1 after years of it being my go to flavour.

I’ve since ordered salted caramel and mint choc. Both are not as nice as 3.0 but are still palatable. The salted caramel has that fruity/berry taste that the 3.1 chocolate has but not the weird aftertaste. The mint choc is a shadow of its former self (less minty, less sweet) but at least it tastes more or less the same as before.

1 Like