Why the price of Huel powder is changing with the launch of v3.0

I also don’t like the addition of tapioca.

If you want a smoother texture that mixes better then just start using more finely grained oats. Jimmy Joy also made their product like 5 times smoother by just using more finely grained oats. They went a bit too far and had to start using slightly less fine (but still very fine grained) oats as the drink became too smooth.

Of course tapioca is the cheap option as slightly finer oats are more expensive. It’s just very hard for me to understand putting in empty calories (which according to the article makes at least 6% of the total ingredients). Just raise the price a bit more by buying higher quality oats… I would prefer that.

4 Likes

@Dan_Huel Why tapioca starch instead grained oats? I like the fact of increasing the smoothness, but not if we reduce the nutrition quality.

Can you explain this? Its the only issue I find in the 3.0. Thanks in advance

1 Like

where do you get that information? - if you look at current prices with agricultural commodities brokers - tapioca starch is almost twice as expensive

1 Like

Nothing against Jimmy Joy but that’s a bit misleading as maltodextrin is the third-highest ingredient in their formula which brings that smooth texture at the expense of a high glyceamic index.

Yeah sure. I have been half answering this so I will go direct this time. Huel is so great nutritionally but only if you consume it. We’ve worked hard to improve the texture and flavours. No one likes change at first I know and I thought the same but it’s a big improvement.

We’ve massively improved the sourcing of our ingredients and their quality (shout out to the Ops team). This means that there is an increase in the amount of micronutrients they bring. So you’ll see with the updated articles that actually the 6 (7 now) main ingredients are bringing more nutritional value than before.

2 Likes

All prices rise everywhere,it’s inevitable. But we payers are sure to moan about it, that’s inevitable too. We must bear the pain of the price rise, and Huel must bear the moaning. But it’s a good thing that Huel exists, isn’t it?

4 Likes

Only Jimmy Joy’s Active is comparable to Huel because of the macros and it has no maltodextrin. The Active line which has always been maltodextrin free also became smoother because their started using more finely grained oats.

Tapioca is almost pure starch, so it’s almost entirely made up of carbs.

It contains only minor amounts of protein, fat and fiber.

Furthermore, it only contains minor amounts of nutrients. Most of them amount to less than 0.1% of the recommended daily amount in one serving (1Trusted Source, 3).

One ounce (28 grams) of dry tapioca pearls contains 100 calories (3).

Due to its lack of protein and nutrients, tapioca is nutritionally inferior to most grains and flours (1Trusted Source).

In fact, tapioca can be considered as “empty” calories. It provides energy with almost no essential nutrients.

So let me get this straight…Huel is already covering all the nutrients so Tapioca making 6-10% of the total ingredients is fine? 6-10% of Huel being empty calories just kind of seems off for me.
Also, that 6-10% is guesswork as the ingredient right after Tapioca makes 5.9% of the total ingredients so Tapioca must be at least 6%.

4 Likes

The problem is you need a big pay rise every year to keep up, which we don’t get, with the rising cost of living like rent and council tax it’s hard going. It was better in the 1990’s I think, well it was for me anyhow.

1 Like

Huel is a lot cheaper for Brits than for Europeans so at least you have that going for you. :slight_smile:

The RTD is produced in Austria and Europeans still pay a lot more for it than Brits.

I blame Thatcher/Brexit/Boris/Trump.

Not really, it’s all Corbyn’s fault.

2 Likes

RTD is produced in Austria and the USA. The product sold in the UK is produced from the USA plant.

And yet it’s still cheaper in the UK than the USA.

Never have been able to figure that out.

The only product I like from Jimmy Joy is the Plenny bar, which is incredible.

I will take a look to the active one.

I haven’t tried Active so can’t comment. I’m struggling to understand what your issue with tapioca is though. Huel is not 100% tapioca so look at the whole product, which we believe is nutritionally, the best on the market.

As I’ve already mentioned tapioca serves a functional purpose. This is where the Nutrition team is working more closely with the Product Development team. For anyone who has tried the new bars I hope you can see this is working really well.

Is there a specific vitamin or mineral that you would like to see more of that oats provide?

We are of course still nutrition first taste a close second. If there’s any doubt, check out my view this morning.

7 Likes

The meme potential of that image is off the charts.

13 Likes

First and foremost you need to dominate your home market. Thus, you need to ensure that you are providing the most competitive prices here.

Not fully true. There are more that have similar macros and no malto.

You early to the office!

Everyone attacking the addition of tapioca starch let’s wait to try it before getting mad!
The gums are also empty calories but Huel would be disgusting without it.

I wasn’t that happy about the sound of what had changed in the new bars but they are really really good.

If v3 powder comes out and I prefer the texture and taste of 2.3 then I’ll start joining the anti-tapioca brigade :laughing:

5 Likes

The problem is that texture and taste is very subjective. Look at the variation between how thick people like it, the changes from V1.2 U&U made it a lot thicker and increased the volume of water needed to keep it close to the same thickness. And the gum addition making it more oily (in my opinion), and the less said about the salt version the better :slight_smile: I came very close to dropping Huel at that time.

So yes, “it is great nutritionally but only if people enjoy it” is true, which is why people (well, me) worry about changes if they rely on it for a large portion of their daily calories and nutrients.

edit: that is a very grey office, get some colour in there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like a job centre.

1 Like

I mostly like to make my Huel a few hours before consumption so it get’s nice and thick. However sometimes that is not possible and when mixed according to the instructions I very often get small clumps. I think that a small addition of tapioca flour will be a good solution for situations like these.

With the other changes I am not so happy about mainly because I think they are the main reason behind the price hike. However I did a comparison of alternatives yesterday and still found out that Huel is nutritionally the best option out there at least in a similar price range.

Who’s desk is that with the donuts?! Own up

Yes. It’s very dull. Jeeeez get some tinsel up guys.

3 Likes