Why the price of Huel powder is changing with the launch of v3.0

I could get behind this if Huel had better and recyclable packaging.

Make it more palatable for those that tip their Huel straight into sealed containers because they hate dealing with the daily mess the bags make, knowing the bags go straight to landfill.

You can though. Allergic reactions due to airborne nut exposure is a myth, seems to be the current scientific understanding.

This somewhat misses the point which is that kelp is a newly-introduced ingredient which is completely unnecessary given that it doesn’t provide anything that potassium iodide already did. Adding it simply increases the impact of eating Huel on animals and the environment.

Yes, you can’t eat anything at all without having some adverse impact. That doesn’t mean that unnecessarily increasing the impact of what you eat is not worth worrying about.

1 Like

Why though, if as you say there’s definitely none present? Ha - we can probably both agree that I’m labouring the point a bit now I think so I’ll exit stage right :wink:

Can you confirm that you’ll only be sourcing kelp from sustainable sources?

1 Like

I also would like some more clarity on this. @Dan_Huel will there be work done to provide us with actual values for caffeine and alcohol content? Some people are extremely sensitive to caffeine and need to avoid it completely for health or medical reasons. You stated ‘minimal’… this doesn’t really help much and could mean anything. An actual figure would be really helpful.
Same with alcohol - I can see this being an issue for anyone recovering from alchohol addiction who choses to follow the 12-step program which means they eliminate alcohol completely from their lifestyles even to the extent of not having the flavour of it in cooking or desserts, and not using mouthwash etc. If there is even a trace of alcohol, this would inhibit them from using the product - so again, an actual number, at some point, would be helpful.
As for yeast content and whether that will affect me personally - I’ll try it and find out!

I’ve been on a plane twice recently and both times nuts were banned due to someone on board being severly allergic.
What makes you think its a myth? I know someone who really cannot even so much as touch a nut (or breath in nut dust! as you are referring to)

Better than berry anyway.

1 Like

A lot of plant based prebiotics are high fodmap I believe and can be a problem for those with GI issues sigh

Idiotic and cretinous vegan fanatics and ayatollahs…
Even when you pick an apple from its tree, chances are that you are destroying the sweet home of a lovely baby animal. Please, stop your insanity.

Well that escalated

1 Like

Tristan we’ve already said that we have tested the kelp in Huel and the methods used cannot detect any traceable amount. You can argue that there are atoms of molluscs, shellfish and crustaceans - but do you hold all your food to the same scrutiny? We are legally required to put the warning on, because they are allergens, not because they are animal products (as Dan has repeatedly explained with his insect analogy.)

Our Bars are a much more difficult product to produce and have taken longer to produce, we would have been too far along the process to include the same additions you see in v3.0. I also imagine that the NPD team want to limit the amount of addition powders going into the Bar mix to keep a good texture.

I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking. Previously our scoops didn’t match up to our serving suggestion (3 x 38g scoops = 456kcal, when our meal size was 500kcal.) We sourced a 50g scoop and now the instructions are simpler at 2 x 50g scoops = 400kcal. If you want to continue using your old scoop you absolutely can. If you want precision then scales are a better option! That’s what I do :nerd_face:

Interesting discussion, thanks for your points through this thread Phil. I personally think that we would still have had many upset about a price increase. As you said, there’s never a good time, but it seems most are generally happy that we haven’t put prices up in 4 years. So thank you for your understand.

It goes without saying that profit is the (less sexy) lifeblood of a business, that’s a fact, I don’t know how to respond to your suggestions we’re sneakily trying to make more money for nefarious reasons. We’ve announced it publicly on our forum and linked you through to detail about it and invited you to question us. We also emailed the information to every single powder subscriber (excl Original obviously), so we’re hardly trying to hide the fact we’re increasing the price. It’s worth noting that we weren’t profitable last year, so yes we absolutely are trying to increase profits - to something in the green.

Excuse formatting of the above. What Dan is saying is the a price increase was inevitable regardless of the upgrade to v3.0. Original makes up a very small amount of sales (dodges heckles and projectiles), so the trade off on the amount of increased profit with a price increase there wasn’t seen to be worth it.

A price increase is just one part of wider plans to improve profitability. Internally we will have to do more ourselves that won’t impact you. It would be naive of us to think a price increase is the only solution.

4 Likes

I’m gonna use that…

5 Likes

Yeap I agree I didn’t want the texture to change at first either. However, this is an improvement in terms of texture and mixability, there’s still that texture from the oats as they’re still the largest ingredient.

There’s less than a gram difference, you will probably find the same variation in something like tomoatoes because of the season, I wouldn’t worry.

Great suggestions! Algae oil probably would cause gut issues so best to avoid, espeically when we already have am omega-3:omega-6 ratio of 1:1. The additional prebiotics is an interesting one and certainly something we can look at. Again the issue may be gut issues if the inclusion is too high.

Yes you’re right, I should have been clearer. The risk is mainly from a reaction to touching surfaces, however mild that may be. The point is tiny amounts can cause a reaction, we want to make affected customers aware.

Yes we will have test results for caffeine when they’re returned. Alcohol we will not because it’s going to come back below testing levels, so there’s no point. You’re not going to taste it or even know it’s there in the same way alcohols may be used to extract flavours such as strawberry.

Sure can! Our suppliers have BRC and Nutritious Food Seaweed certification. Defining parameters for Nutritious Food Seaweed include:

• Single living species of documented age and freshness
  • Documented physical and nutritional quality
  • Traceability from end use to documented sustainable source
  • Regulatory compliance for global markets
  • Standard Operating Procedures, independent analysis and accreditation
  • Environmental sustainability
5 Likes

Wouldn’t it be more logical to keep U/U around aswel as original? Or maybe even instead of as you can flavour it with anything you like?

It would be my preferred way of Huel as a company developing new formulas to test them alongside the previous version. It would also be a great way of providing feedback to you guys by buying what we prefer.

6 Likes

I hear you and I’ve badgered @Dan_Huel enough on that and have exited on the point :). I just think perception really matters here.

There wasn’t a warning saying “might contain fish” previously but now there is because of the inclusion of kelp, which appears to be there solely because it’s “natural” and I’m really confused how being forced to add the warning is better than simply sticking with the synthetic vitamin B.

Makes sense but on first glance it really does seem to call out that v3 ingredients cost more. Again, perception.

I’m happy to step away from both points and I’m not trying to be difficult here. I’ve been a Huel customer right from the start and a vocal advocate. I’ve referred hundreds of people, but this recipe update really confuses me.

I want science from Huel, I want optimum nutrition from the best sources possible. I wrote this ages ago to help dispel the natural is best rubbish from articles saying Complete Foods are dangerous because their nutrition isn’t natural, that somehow synthetic vitamins are bad purely because they’re synthetic and not wholefood based; and I can’t believe you’re giving in to that :frowning:

10 Likes

That’s great to hear

1 Like

Fwiw I have absolutely no issues with the price rise, even as a lowly, ‘surviving at subsistence level’, hated by the Tories, single parent with a crappy part time civil service salary and a few ‘vegetable peeling’, lip service benefit top-ups (which I’m DEFINITELY not bitter about!), I can absorb it. I actively want Huel to thrive, I would love it to be profitable and maybe even on supermarket shelves (yeah I know RTD is but y’know). I have turned a good number of people and constantly promote it, I rarely pay full price for a subscription :smirk:. I just hope the new version is as good and I tolerate it as well. My concerns have been related to fear because my wellbeing is quite tied up in Huel right now. It has really changed my life in the last year, I could barely eat and had gut pain daily. I swear I’m not trying to find problems. Thanks for addressing my queries officials.

PS. Pistachio flavour shot :pray:t2:

2 Likes

I agree with those that have mentioned keeping U/U v2.3 as an option. It’s the only way I’ll be able to continue using Huel. I understand Original v2.3 will be available, but that’s no use to those of us that can’t have sweeteners.

Some of these changes really do seem backwards, unfortunately.

Kombucha - alcohol/caffeine (no matter how small the amount) should be substances that we get to choose whether we use! I really hope you reconsider this ingredient.

Kelp - I really wish I was a fly on the wall when the conversations took place on this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I must say I am glad Original is continuing unchanged and agree with those who would like to see UU do the same.

Being on Huel has drastically reduced my IBS symptoms and for this I am extremely grateful. I will try the new v3.0 at some stage after it is launched but it will be good to know there is an unchanged product or two to fall back on if necessary.

4 Likes