Aiding my weight loss goals with Huel

Blockquote Pee, poop, clean out ears, pluck eyebrows, take off all clothes, THEN weigh. That’s my strategy. Need all the help I can get :joy:

Ha thanks guys, always have a wee in the morning before the weigh in! :joy: I’ve been a little constipated this week which may be why nothing else is coming off - is this a known problem with Huel? Never had this problem since being vegan so I’m taking some herbal supplements to try and help.

@DaniW are you drinking plenty of water?

I do tend to, but maybe still not drinking enough… will have to keep an eye on it.

I’ve found that when I’m mostly living on huel I need to drink a lot more water.

1 Like

Yes Huel is high in fibre so it’s best to drink plenty of water, also if your feeling a bit hungry in the evening a glass of water can help out with that. Are you still using the cross trainer? If you are, are you just going at a steady pace? Interval training is best with them you can have a much better workout in less time. Most cross trainers have programs built in or can personally customise programs manually.

I don’t tend to snack outside my ‘meals’ so I do tend to have a glass of water of some green tea if I feel peckish in the evening. I’m still using the cross trainer but have started doing other things too so that I’m not doing the same thing everyday. I did a lot of training at martial arts on my legs Monday & Tuesday, so yesterday I did an upper body workout using some weights as want to start toning up a bit too.

My cross trainer is a very basic one but you’re right I should probably start doing more interval training as usually just go at a steady pace.

FINALLY another pound gone. I must admit that now I’ve hit the ‘lost a stone’ mark and have noticed it so much in my clothes etc, I guess I haven’t been quite as strict. I have however in the last week - I’ve also cut my huel breakfast down to 1 scoop to see how I go, although not sure I’ll stick with that long term.

It’s been 11 (and a half) weeks of Huel for breakfast and lunch, combined with exercise and a healthy salad dinner. I have lost 15 pounds in that time and now also fit into a lot of size 12 stuff. I’ve also had a lot of comments from people at work who have noticed I’ve lost weight which is always a motivator!

I now have 5 weeks until my summer holiday so the next 5 weeks I will be focusing on strength training and toning up my arms and back.

I’ve never been able to stick to any diet for as long as this so I’m so proud and also amazed at how easy this journey has been so far - but it is time to step it up and lose some more!!

6 Likes

@DaniW Congratulations on passing the stone +1lb mark!

Wow, I couldn’t do a 1 scoop shake for breakfast, I am always at my most hungry in the morning! 3 scoops for breakfast is necessary for me!!

Sounds like your weight loss has been steady and that’s definitely a key to keeping it off long term.

I look forward to updates over the next 5 weeks! I think it’s good that you have a goal that is not necessarily a number on the scales, particularly as with strength training you are likely to be “swapping” fat for heavier muscle (I know, swapping is not the right word! But you know what I mean…!)

Good luck! Onwards and upwards!! :green_heart:

1 Like

Thank you @thetambert :slight_smile:

I’m hungrier at lunch to be honest, so one scoop was doable. I do worry sometimes though that I’m not giving my body enough energy for when I’m training though - it’s such a hard balance when your not entirely sure how much you’ll be burning.

I’ve got a competition coming up on Saturday so will probably go back to 2 scoops in the morning as I’ll be making sure I get plenty of training in this week leading up to it - hopefully I’ll see some more loss but who knows :slight_smile:

I don’t dare weigh myself at the moment as it was my time of the month last week so all of the carbs came out to play :sweat_smile: I also had a competition at the weekend so I was exhausted yesterday and just allowed my husband to cook for me and make the same as he was having :roll_eyes:.

Today I’m back on track though and plan to stick to it again the rest of this week. I wasn’t Hueling it as much last week, I was having toast for breakfast so I could take painkillers and not worry about not having enough in my stomach (which is a good point actually, everyone take ibuprofen and other painkillers ok with just Huel in their stomach?). I tend to be ill if I don’t eat enough and then have any tablets so didn’t want to risk it. I was then just having Huel for lunch. I managed to stick to 11 Stone 11/12 last week, but then skipped Saturday and haven’t weighed myself since. I think I’ll weigh myself tomorrow and update MFP in the morning if I dare! :stuck_out_tongue:

Huel is food. It will line your stomach just as other foods will.
You chew up solid foods and take your painkillers with a drink don’t you? So it all ends up as a similar slurry in your stomach.

2 Likes

Copy that, Huel is just food and no problems using painkillers after a (Huel) meal here.

1 Like

Thanks both @Bee and @ChrisH0402 I think I knew that deep down it would be fine but I guess just didn’t want to risk being ill - I’ve had (what I thought) was plenty in my stomach before and have still be ill through taking tablets so I think it just puts me off a bit. Will try next time though.

So I hopped on the scales to a lovely 11st 10lb this morning… go figure. :crazy_face:

3 March: 12st 12lbs
Today: 11st 10lbs
Lost: 1st 2lbs (16 lbs)

3 Likes

I think people react differently to painkillers on an empty tummy. I tend to be okay but I know lots of people who really take to it badly, so I presume that although most people would be fine with Huel as a lining, if you’re extra sensitive to that kind of thing it’s worth proceeding with caution.

Great weight loss this week, well done! :green_heart:

1 Like

Thanks @thetambert - I can be ill if I take a supplement when I haven’t got enough in my stomach too so maybe I’m just the odd few who needs to be extra careful! Thank you :slight_smile: seemed to have stabilised around the 11st 10lb area for the rest of the week, although I did weigh in at 11st 9lb on Wednesday and got rather excited :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So a quick update on my journey!

It’s been a while since I last posted, but since July of this year I haven’t been on Huel as I’m currently pregnant at 23 weeks! I had horrible sickness and got down to around the 11 stone area, which in most circumstances I would have been happy with but obviously not being able to keep much food down :slight_smile:

I’m still suffering a bit with sickness now, and have had Huel now again as an addition to my meals to supplement and to add more nutrition to my diet (hello all the carbs I’ve been scarfing).

Once baby is here (he’s due 1st March!) I’m planning on going back on the good old Huel as it really has been the only thing that has worked for me long term. I hope to carry on this ‘diary’ next year when the next chapter begins! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hope the sickness settles down all goes well for you :+1:

1 Like

I’m not saying you should, but have you considered getting in touch with @Tim_Huel to see if Huel will sponsor you to keep your newborn 100% Huel for life? Think of the kudos he’d get on the forum!

…joking… mostly…

1 Like

I want to meet an adult who has never chewed anything in their entire life, and give them some peanuts or something. It’d be fun to watch them try to figure it out.

So if Huel won’t sponsor this child, we should club together and do it ourselves. Or one of us should volunteer to bear a Huelbaby. I’d do it but I don’t have the right plumbing.

:smile: sounds like an experiment the Soviet Union would do, I’m behind it. But I don’t think kids can live off huel with it being tailored for adult food requirements.
Also remember when juicing was a thing. I remember hearing stories of people who would liquify all the meals and after a few months they forget how to chew and food would fall out there mouths.