Feedback on the flavour pouches please!

I’d definitely give it a go with the vanilla; I’m saving the rest of my unflavoured for experiments with savoury options as I’m currently drinking it with strawberry flavour added, then some fairly sweet white chocolate protein powder, then I even added some granulated sweetener… and I still don’t like it as much as plain vanilla, whereas with the vanilla it just alters the flavour a bit so it’s still nice but a little different.

I still don’t like how much thinner it’s got. Was that a deliberate change, @Julian?

So I have now tried all flavours.

In order from best to worst in my opinion

Strawberry > Moccha > Toffee > Rhubarb

Strawberry is amazing as breakfast, not so much as dinner. I really like it mixed with almond milk instead of plain water. Mocha is really good as well. Toffee could probably see a little bit of flavour boost. I’ll try doubling the dose next time. Rhubarb I already said I hated it, but that’s just my preference.

I think overall you guys have made a GREAT job with the flavours.
I look forward to seeing more flavours maybe soon.

I know it sounds crazy but as per the comments above, have you considered savoury flavours? :smile:

If I were to give an extra suggestion, maybe lemon/citrus and coconut.

2 Likes

The strawberry flavour is a LOT nicer when used in the vanilla version! :+1:

1 Like

I think I will mix half unflavoured with half vanilla, with some strawberry flavour, so that I can use the unflavoured Huel up. But my next Huel order will definitely be vanilla again.

I had a delivery of the unflavoured and a bag of strawberry mix last week, I can’t really drink the unflavoured on it’s own, but with the strawberry it’s great. I’m having to add 10g of strawberry mix to 100g of huel, so the ‘half a teaspoon’ is way off for the unflavoured. Whilst I quite like the unflavoured plus strawberry I think the cost of the strawberry mix is going to be too much for me to switch as I can see it’s going to be about 1 and a half bags of strawberry mix to a bag of unflavoured huel.

I did try adding cocoa powder to the unflavoured but it didn’t work out for me, I also tried adding cocoa and strawberry mix but could only taste the strawberry. I might vary the amounts and try again sometime.

The seperation of the strawberry mix is interesting, it looks blood red when I get the shaker out of the fridge :smile:

Ooh; warm water, unflavoured huel… & marmite.

Not sure if it’s genuinely delicious or I’ve just been missing the taste of marmite.

2 Likes

@Omc

:laughing:

So a bit like a cup of Bovril, but with all the nutrients your body needs?

2 Likes

I normally go with 125g unflavoured Huel mixed in around 500ml of water. I’m one of those, who prefer the unflavoured version to the original one, but I was still interested in the flavouring options available. I tried Mocca so far and I am happy with it’s taste and how that fits in with the general taste of the unflavoured version. Though quite often I totally forget to mix it in, so I guess it is not making that much of an impression on me. The packaging isn’t too convenient to dispense the powder from and you can easily make a small cloud of the stuff and have it all over the place if you are not careful. I would liken it to very fine cocoa powder, tastes good, not too sweet.

Good point; I’m sure I saw a jar of bovril knocking around at the back of a cupboard somewhere…

I’ve been using the strawberry flavouring this week with the vanilla Huel, it’s brilliant. The first portion I mixed I used a full teaspoon with 100g of Huel and found it was far too sweet, but dropping back to half a teaspoon is perfect.

I guess that’s the great thing about separate pouches, you can flavour to your own preference.

Also, not sure if others find this, but my shakes actually have less lumps in them when I add the flavouring. Maybe something to do with the small amount of maltodextrin helping to break things up?

1 Like

Just tried the Mocha in unsweetened and not quite what I was expecting, but WOW, I love it.

Gonna try in some vanilla next which I imagine will be good.

Didn’t think too much of the Rhubarb and judging by how long it’s taken me to get through the whole pouch I probably won’t try that one again.

My go to flavours so far are DIY cocoa powder and now the mocha pouch. Will probably push the boat out and try the toffee one next and see how I get on with that.

Ive tried the Rhubarb and the Toffee, i prefer these to vanilla huel(i use unsweetened) as i really do hate sucralose.My main gripe is the fact you have to shell out alot for a packet of flavour that you might not like. the rhubarb flavour is sat in a cuboard and may never get used again. seems like a such a waste. as ive said in other threads and tester set of all flavours would be awesome. were talking a couple of grams of each with your first order. help people like your product more by providing them with some of the answers to the fears we have when we first ordered. i was worried my money would be wasted and if i hadnt ordered a flavour with it, it may well have been.

5 Likes

Just had the Mocha version delivered and it has taken Huel (vanilla) version from undrinkable to tasting OK. OK is the rating I give because it doesn’t make me want another one straight away but it means I won’t be dreading my next Huelling session! Used 1g of flavouring for one scoop of Huel with 170ml or water (just a touch thicker than recommended) and used a Nutribullet to mix.

1 Like

When I bought Haul I was really worried that I would hate it. I don’t have the healthiest diet although I do like good food, I tend to just pick at whatever is available rather then cook a meal for one. So I’m using Huel to diet. Rather then skip breakfast I have a shake in the morning and instead of binging on Crisps and easy things when I get home from work ,I have a shake for dinner. I got to say, the vanilla tasted much better then I was expecting! As I’m having it twice a day, I did want some variety. i have experimented a bit with adding, hot chocolate, coffee, Banana’s and Mango syrup (which I bought out the Ethnic food section in Tesco) all worked pretty well but some of these options (the syrup) have quite high sugar levels. I bought the Rhubarb and Custard and the Mocha flavour packets.

I tried the Rhubarb and Custard first. My first impression is that the 1/2 spoon didn’t give enough taste but an level teaspoon resulted in a very bitter after taste. I left the Huel in the fridge over theday and, the taste improved. Will probably go back to using this at 1/2 a spoon to stop that unbearable bitterness.

I’m not happy with the fact that you’ve removed the food colourings. I think they are part of the experience as much as taste or smell.

I tried the Mocha this morning. It was quite nice but more chocolate then coffee. Might add a bit of coffee with the flavour next time. I find the flavourings are a little bit too sweet and I have a sweet tooth!

So far I’ve tried toffee, rhubarb & custard and strawberry.

I don’t mind the flavour of the standard Huel, although I do find mixing it 50/50 with the Unflavoured/Unsweetened makes it taste better. (The slightly blander taste is less of a daunting prospect for every meal).

All 3 flavours are pleasant IMO and the ability to mix and match for more variability is an absolute must if you’re eating Huel for 3 or 4 meals a day.

Toffee seems to be the strongest flavouring but I have no objection as I’ve got a sweet tooth. Rhubarb & Custard has just the right sharpness you’d want from a rhubarb taste.

All 3 are improved by using with a 50/50 mix of standard and unflavoured/unsweetened Huel.

I’m looking forward to the new flavours. It might be interesting to try alternating between strawberry, banana and pineapple. Have a different flavour each time I make it.

Okay, so I’ve given in and ordered Banana, Strawberry and Rhubard & Custard. I really want to try the banana flavour, and I decided it would be nice to have several to choose from so I can vary it each time.

Loving the Pineapple & Coconut flavour! Kind of reminds me a bit of when I used to eat pineapple flavour yoghurts as a kid.

I have used the rhubarb and custard and I use 1.5g as I think that’s enough all your over flavours where out of stock !!