How do you flavour your Huel?

Yes it wasn’t bad at all. Think I might try some other flavoured teas and see how that turns out. I’m sure I’ve got some out of date boxes I haven’t used somewhere :joy:

Anyone tried Earl grey tea? I might try lobbing a tea bag in with my vanilla overnight…

I can’t imagine a normal flavour tea in something like huel, but would try it if someone said it was good :wink:. I’m more of a coffee person anyway. I rarely drank tea before going vegan, but my fave would be spiced indian tea. I don’t think the hot spices (ginger cinnamon etc al) would work. But worth a try.

But this topic has got me thinking about spices that would would work like cardamom. Cardamom is also used to spice Indian sweets/deserts. So I bet that would go with a cardamom tea flavour Huel, but definitely on its own or with saffron and nutmeg!

Oh and I wouldn’t put the tea bags in the huel it self as I suspect it wouldn’t Impart it’s flavour around much. Probably best to brew a pot and cool it then add the flavoured water/ fluid of choice to the powder later to get the max benefit of the flavour.

Elderflower.
Rose water.
Soymilk & Mango.
Saffron & milk.
Mandarin.
Cinnamon.
Banana mango & milk.
Cocoa.

I’ve been using the vanilla huel for a couple of weeks now (enjoying the flavour by the way).
I did, on a whim, notice my lime squash (tesco double lime) on the counter…I thought, yeah why not?!
so just a splash of lime (I’d say a few tablespoons) and it really was a nice variation. It wont be my go-to, but if I do ever get bored of the standard vanilla, options are easy…

I usually put a spoonful in my camelback to cover odd tap water tastes, so it was already on hand.

I’m a newbie with Huel, having only started a few days ago - and 100% Huel since Saturday - but enjoying it immensely.

My standard meal is two scoops of the vanilla Huel with 400ml water, shaken well and left for at least an hour to thicken (ideally in the fridge - overnight for the following day’s breakfast).

The single flavourings I’ve tried and really like (based on a two scoop meal) are:

• one heaped tea-spoon of Nescafe coffee granules dissolved in a tiny amount of hot water
  • two slightly-heaped tea-spoons of Green & Black’s organic cocoa powder
  • one level tea-spoon of Tesco salted caramel flavour liquid for baking
  • half a heaped tea-spoon (one level tea-spoon?) of Schwartz cinnamon powder
  • two level tea-spoons of Whole Earth “absolutely no added sugar” peanut butter (shake very well indeed to mix the PB… taste is mild but to my liking; others may prefer it with more PB)

I’ve only tried a few combinations so far, but these are very good indeed (quantities as above):

• cocoa and coffee
  • cocoa and peanut butter
  • peanut butter, cinnamon and salted caramel (unbelievably good - my favourite by far)

The peanut butter meals are slightly thicker, and particularly good for lasting that bit longer between servings - although two tea-spoons does add around 60 kcals.

I haven’t yet tried cocoa, peanut butter and salted caramel, but I just know it will work well. Might try that tomorrow for lunch :slight_smile:

@Ajay quite a few teas seem to work well; the one I was most impressed with was liquorice tea, which is naturally quite sweet. As described elsewhere here, make a pint the night before, then leave it in the fridge overnight. Mint worked well too; black tea is fine but very subtle.

Tried another really nice combination today…

400ml water, two scoops vanilla Huel, two tea-spoons Green & Blacks organic cocoa powder, one tea-spoon of Schwartz ground ginger. Very tasty!!

This Thread should be pinned at the top.

I currently have two recipes I use for my Huel (U&U) drinks.
3 scoops of Huel, 500 ml water, 1 banana & 1 scoop of chocolate drink powder, very tasty
~30 mins before my workout 3 scoops of Huel, 500 ml water, 1 banana & two scoop of Body Attack Whey Protein (Strawberry flavor) also very tasty.

I also have the banana flavor powder, but was underwhelmed. I also tried it with a couples of Kiwis, but didn’t like it.

Did you notice the kiwi flavour? Was it just too acidic?

I found blood orange was nice, ruby red grapefruit was unpleasant.

I tried a kiwi and banana, 1 scoop of U/U and another of vanilla, all zapped up with a stick blender. The kiwi was totally lost, even the seeds*.

*Note to self: always put soft things that I don’t want totally blended in last.

So I’ve just started back on Huel and find blueberries are a great flavour. I raided the Tesco frozen smoothie supply fridge and it surprised me I didn’t hate their Kale, Spinach and Mango mix with 50/50 mix of U/U and vanilla. Though my favourite find was the Acai. Today I have Spinach, chilli and acai and it’s spot on despite the worrying colour!

sprinkle in some garamasala powder, for a tasty savoury option

I had three kiwis in (first two, but didn’t taste it), with the third I had some taste in it, but not much and I didn’t like it.

Firstly I’m new to Huel and have started with V1.2 vanilla. Being an ex heavy smoker I quite like stronger flavours. The basic huel is ok but I prefer with two teaspoons of coffee. I’ve tried freeze dried raspberry and cherry powders - while the flavour is ok you have to use so much that it costs a fortune.

Gonna try this @BigM

Love liquorice so definitely Gonna try this @chughes

You might be disappointed, there’s some opinion that liquorice tea tastes nothing like liquorice. I really dislike liquorice, loving the tea though.

One thing to be mindful of is the quantity and type of liquorice you consume, from this article:

When candy containing real licorice extract is consumed regularly or in large quantities, there can be profound metabolic consequences.

Fluid and sodium are retained, blood pressure goes up and potassium may drop to dangerously low levels. Hormonal changes can occur and may lead to weakness and in extreme cases temporary paralysis.

Black Licorice Has a Dangerous Dark Side

There’s quite a list of potential side effects from consuming liquorice, there is some good news at the end of the article though. Although I have no idea how to get hold of deglycyrrhizinated liquorice in any other form than tablets and supplements.

You should take licorice tea for a period of 4 to 6 weeks and then take 1-2 weeks break.

[…]

To decrease chances of these serious side effects, deglycyrrhizinated licorice preparations are available. This is good for you when you just want to enjoy the flavour of licorice tea.

Licorice Tea A Tea Sweeter Than Sugar

Enjoying liquorice tea once in awhile seems fine, just ration it out!

Shame Twinings and the like don’t say anything about the health implications of liquorice root.

I’m enjoying all the suggestions in this thread.

I find date syrup, banana and peanut butter (the 100%nuts nothing added variety) is a very satisfying savoury/sweet flavouring for UU Huel.

I also tried Spinach, cucumber and apple added to UU was refreshing and delicious.

Also tried frozen berries and a bit of agave syrup.

The nutribullet is getting a good workout as I’m working up to 100% Huel next month.

I have been using Huel twice a day now for a month (lost 5kgs as of yesterday) and so far my favourite combination has been:

2 scoops Vanilla Huel
1/2 x banana
1/4 x cucumber
Approx 25 x baby spinach leaves
Aprox 450ml water
Mixed in the blender

I was surprised when i liked this combination and find I am having that most days with the second shake being a straight vanilla or using one of the Huel flavour sachets.

I’ve just tried a Knorr Chicken stock cube with 500ml of warm water and 3 scoops of U&U Gluten Free Huel. Quite nice but will try the Heinz Soup Sachets for more flavour to overpower the oat taste.