Why the price of Huel powder is changing with the launch of v3.0

I don’t think they’ve opened it yet.

2 Likes

Ah good, thanks, will check again later!

That’s very cute, but somewhat undermined by a newer, better replacement dog with the same name that has already taken over.

“Was I a good boy?”
“No. We improved upon you and that’s why you were killed.”

2 Likes

David :frowning: you unsubscribed from marketing emails in September. C’mon!

Correct, I’ve mentioned in the launch post in the other thread that we’re looking to get the outlet live later this week.

3 Likes

I notice I get personalised marketing emails.
I’m obviously very special. They may not listen to me but at least they know my name, unlike @RyanT who is simply referred to as ‘there’ :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s not marketing, it’s a change in the terms of my subscription! Why do you hate me? :sob:

2 Likes

I put an order in at 12.30 as soon as I noticed it was available hope it’s good stuff, I was due to order on the weekend but seemed daft not waiting a couple of days for the new version

1 Like

Which is why we emailed everyone 2 weeks ago, including you, explaining that (whether they accepted marketing or not). Legally a new product launch is a marketing email.

2 Likes

Stop making excuses, you monster! :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, the price raise for people in the EU is really steep, especially considering that we paid ~13% more for Huel even before v3.
Now Huel is ~38% more expensive than one of its main competitors (without maltodextrin, as HuelOfficials like to bring that out every time).

The differences depend on the amount of bags you are subscribed too but crude math gave me a difference of 6.55 euros (2000kcal 1 day) for the competitor vs 10.1 euros for Huel.

If I’d switch to a diet consisting of only Huel (slightly cheaper if I order a lot) then I would still pay more for 2 weeks of Huel than I would pay for gasoline in an entire month and I have a car with 200hp. I don’t drive that much but keeping my costs low is one principle that I live by.
That’s why as someone not in the UK but in the EU, I would just have Huel for breakfast while my other 2 meals (400kcal) at work would be some other 'lents.

If people in Europe paid the same amount for Huel as Brits then the difference with other European competitors would not be so massive. I mean, isn’t Huel powder for the EU customers not produced in Central-Europe?

1 Like

It’s made in the UK.

For UK customers, it is produced in Devon, for European customers (way bigger market) it is produced in Austria. So you could say that the majority of Huel is produced in Austria and only UK customers get Huel produced in the UK from a smaller production facility.

The RTD not the powder. You were talking about the powder.

The RTD you get from the UK store is made in the United States, shipped over the Atlantic Ocean and you pay less for it than Europeans pay for the RTD that is made for them in Austria.
Also the US made RTD is more expensive for Americans on the US site…
Does that seem logical? :smiley:

I tried to find some information about the powder and it appears that what I read in Reddit might not be fully accurate.The powder seems to be produced in the UK but the UK is not on a different continent.
How can Europeans pay 22% more for RTD produced in Austria while Brits can have their RTD shipped from another continent from thousands of miles away and pay considerably less for it?

It’s getting quite off-topic but with the steep price differences that don’t make sense it appears that Europeans and Americans pay a ‘premium’ price so Brits could buy all Huel products with a very low price.

I should imagine pricing isn’t solely calculated on shipping costs though. It’s vastly more complicated than that

Hey Karl, I can totally understand your frustration and the increase hasn’t been linear for all regions, excuse me for some copy pasting from the article on our site.

Previously some countries were charged different levels of discounts when adding more bags, we have now tried to make it as fair and equal as possible across the board. This means that some countries have gone up more than others, that’s because before, every time we started delivering Huel to a new country we did the pricing on a case-by-case basis.

There were big discrepancies but we’ve now implemented a discount structure over increasing number of bags that is as smooth as possible between different countries. This means that when Hueligans in different countries buy any number of bags, the volume discount they will receive will be (roughly) the same globally.

Baseline pricing in different countries still has to be different in some cases. There is very little we can do about this as a business. Different countries have different costs associated with doing business there (different taxes for our products being first and foremost, but also currency exchange and other costs).

No, Huel Powder is produced in Devon for all markets except the USA.

1 Like

Brits get it cheaper cos of the misery of Brexit. We can’t afford to pay more.

On that topic, I expect Huel to open a second factory in the EU and ship powder from there next year.

@Tim_Huel Thank you for the detailed reply. I’m going to order a new shipment of Huel just to flex in front of my coworkers as some of them order other ‘complete foods’. :joy:

@hunzas The UK is the 4th richest country in the European Union based on net incomes, 7th if you take PPP into consideration. The UK is very wealthy as Brexit hasn’t happened yet and the economy is functioning.

I would also point out that in 2017, the average household in the UK spent 8.2% of their income on food, which was the lowest percentage in the EU. There are EU countries where the average household spent 27.8% on food, like Romania. A large number of countries are in the 16-21% range.

Whenever I think that my life is not good enough, then I remind myself that most people in Europe are worse off and that’s not even including the rest of the world who are in a completely different category.
Brexit may seem like the end of the world, but Brits will keep being among the top 5% richest people in the world for the foreseeable future.

Keep calm and carry on :heart:

1 Like

I’ve noticed that food here in the UK is very cheap in comparison to other countries. For example I went to Portugal recently and was shocked how expensive a normal weekly food shop cost at a large supermarket. It was possibly 3 or 4 times more than in England.
In contrast however, rent in England is astronomical. I paid the equivalent of £18 for one week in a two bed apartment. A similar apartment where I live would be £500 a week.

I don’t know the exact figures, but taking my own and my friends’ and relatives situations as an example, 80-90% of our salary goes on rent. If food wasn’t so cheap we would literally starve.
I think we have the balance completely wrong in the UK. Landlords get rich and farmers struggle to survive. Our food is artificially and unfairly cheap. Our other living costs are ridiculously expensive.