Feedback on the flavour pouches please!

It might go off.

Oh sweet baby ray they are horrid. :joy::joy: I know stevia is a natural product but I find it has a really bitter aftertaste, its artifical tasting a bit like eating a spoonful of one of the old sweeteners like canderel or hermesetas. Iā€™ve tried half a teaspoon and the rest of the pouches are loitering unopened in the cupboard.

Sorry that they arenā€™t for you. Stevia is an odd one, with the benefit of coming from natural sources it is very popular. We wanted to make them so that those who opted for the Unsweetened version - to avoid sucralose - could enjoy them too.

Donā€™t worry, there are still plenty of options to flavour it yourself. When in doubt, add coffee and ice!

1 Like

You canā€™t please all of the people! Iā€™ve found lots of great ways to flavour it so Iā€™m not too dissapointed :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Iā€™ve just started with Huel, bought the gluten free unflavoured one. First of all very surprised in a good way with the taste! I am also using the chocolate flavour which I find quite good. There is certainly that special taste with Stevia, but far better than other products I have tried. Using the same flavour 4 times a day one gets quickly tired of it. So I have just ordered the Strawberry one which many seem to be happy with.
Interested to find other ways to flavour it, maybe with salty stuff for a change. Is there a list of easy recipes available?
Shelley_Wood, Iā€™m interested to hear what you use :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are loads of ideas dotted around the forum and our website! Here are two other threads about flavourings to get you started:

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need some more :slight_smile:

Had Rhubarb and custard and mocha. My partner bought chocolate, but I donā€™t like only chocolate flavoured things hence trying the mocha.

The mocha is okay, smells fantastic though. I much prefer the rhubarb and custard, but to get the intensity of taste I like, I do need to add 3g which doesnā€™t make it such an economical choice. I will buy banana flavour on my next order and really looking forward to that.

Love the strawberry one, my fave flavour imo, but the pineapple one tastes waaay too much of sweetener. I mainly mix them in with unsweetened gluten free huel.

Agree to both comments

I really love all flavours apart from the one I have not tried (and donā€™t really fancy) the thingy Tea.

Flavour suggestions (which youā€™ve probably already had):

Salted Caramel
Chocolate Praline
Coconut only
Mango/Passion Fruit

How about a citrus sorbet flavour (lime, lemon, or orange) with a bit of sparkle for summertime?

4 Likes

My first day on Huel yesterday and I tried the strawberry and found it an intense flavour and enjoyable. It is a little ā€˜syntheticā€™ in itā€™s taste which is understandable. I preferred blending in frozen fruit but the strawberry flavour pouch will be great for when I am travelling.

Instead of providing flavour pouches it would be better if Huel was provided pre-flavoured like many others do. Yes, you canā€™t choose how much flavour you get. But Huel should be convenient.

I find myself not wanting Huel because it tastes boring and not wanting to add a flavour because itā€™s a horrible experience. I have to use an extra teaspoon, estimate how much flavour I need, and the flavour pouches are hard to seal. The flavour doesnā€™t always mix in properly either.

This is going to look old fashioned soon.

See my reply here:

Iā€™ve got two flavours, the Matcha Tea, and the Banana, both are nice, however, with 100g of Huel(unflavoured) and 500ml water I find that 2g of flavour is not enough to get the same intensity of flavour from the premixed vanilla flavour. I end up using 3-4g.

Iā€™d love some savoury options, like a tomato soup, or green thai curry.

2 Likes

The pouches have transformed Huel for me. With the standard vanilla I found myself not looking forward to it as much as Iā€™d like, which led to craving other foods. I have kept up with breakfast and lunch Huel for nearly 4 weeks now, but found it difficult between the 2nd & 3rd week. Then I got the flavour pouches!

First was banana, which is fantastic when you get it right. If you add too much it becomes very strange, but with a tiny bit at a time added youā€™ll get the perfect flavour. So use it sparingly and you wonā€™t go far wrong. My personal favourite.

Second was chocolate, which my first go with wasnā€™t great. Found it a bit weak. Then I put a tiny bit more in the next time and absolutely loved it. Loving both!

So the moral of the story is, you can easily give yourself too much or too little depending on the flavour. I think all of them are different and require different amounts to get to your preference. If you put too much or too little in, you will be disappointed. So donā€™t just have a standard 2g for every flavour, go a bit at a time. The amount of Huel you have with it will also affect the taste, as will the amount of water. Now I know this Iā€™m enjoying every mouthful rather than having it for convenience only.

Looking forward to having a go at a few more over the next few months! Iā€™m really sticking to the ones that have had the best reviews currentlyā€¦ the rest appear to be a work in progress!

1 Like

Itā€™s true I could probably find a way around it. But I doubt I can mix it as consistently as Huel could. Itā€™s still effort. The particles will make a mess. Thereā€™s almost no downside to providing pre-flavoured pouches.

I ordered the chocolate and the rhubarb/custard to flavour my non-vanilla Huel. I find I have to use way more than the recommended half teaspoon with the chocolate but I do really like it. I hated the rhubarb/custard, I donā€™t know whatā€™s wrong with it but the flavour really didnā€™t work for me.

Takes a lot more flavour powder to make a noticeable impact on unflavoured.

Hi Julian, I purchased one of each a while back, the only ones i liked where the strawberry and banana. The others tasted to much like a bag of chemicals than anything edible, but that may be just me!

I donā€™t currently use any pouches as Iā€™m happy with the vanilla, however, might be a cool idea to look into flavour pouches that where healthier ( stevia, natural flavourings etcā€¦ ) and also maybe served a secondary purpose (flavourings containing creatine for bodybuilders or some blend of nootropics etcā€¦)

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Things like this would alienate those who donā€™t want it. Adding Creatine would create alot more bulk, and wouldnā€™t be of use to all. Itā€™s such a cheap supplement that anyone who wants it, has it.